Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Yes, another VE audio thread!

Gravity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY11 SSV Wagon
I'm not installing amp. Just new speakers. If you get the right speakers which are suitable without an amp, I'm told it will still sound heaps better. Amp isn't mandatory for a low-end upgrade.

Druery are working on my car now; just dropped her off.

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
I upgraded my stock speakers and the sound wasn't much better. I even used 2ohm to keep it all the same. Now that I've added 2 amps and a sub it's a massive difference. I also had the RCA mod done by Phreddy :)

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Hmmmm ... So how would I counter that mate?
More power (an amp) will make everything louder including the low frequencies.

Better sealing of the door cavity will improve the low frequency performance of the speakers. Deadening the doors involves sealing the interior access holes which reduce the low frequency response of speakers.

But both of those add costs.

Gravity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY11 SSV Wagon
My system installed now, was Focal PC165 in the rear (2-ways) and PS165 in the front (splits or "co-axial"). These are award winning, but entry-level for a particularly good brand.

Like I said, $870 installed. Probably take a novice four hours to install it yourself, but someone experience takes about two probably. I paid them.

No amp.
They also disabled the centre-mounted dash speaker because it sounds crap leaving it on. Satnav voice-over comes from my front-right speaker.

So how's it sound?
I have a pretty good ear. I can clearly hear the difference in treble, it's a very big improvement. Midrange I can't pick it. Bass is much more defined too. Overall sound quality is markedly better, more crisp, better definition, and not muddy anymore.

It is no louder, though, you need an amp for that.

But I'm really happy. It's just what I wanted.

The installers, Druery in Dee Why, said it really needed an amp to get the most out of the speakers (and they're right), but that doesn't mean they are required for the sound to have improved. If I'd spent another say $600 for a quality amp, it'd be much louder and the bass even richer. You can just keep spending money on audio, like anything.

Luke V8

AKA Luke!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SSV
Thanks mate - so if i copy that setup but maybe add an amp i should be good... did you change the subs?

How much did it set you back? (install and parts?) PM if u want.

Were the speakers a straight swap or was modifications needed? Got any pics?

I'm not after LOUD .. more clarifty and something you can feel in your chest while in the car not outside!

Thanks mate

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Were the speakers a straight swap or was modifications needed?

If doing a decent install, there will need to be some modification to the inside of the doors, some treatment from dynamat, new baffle for the speaker etc. All of these things make a huge difference, more so than the choice of speaker. Not a modification as such, but I would be prepared to spend a bit of time on the install (or money if having it installed). Install accounts for more SQ than the choice of speakers.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
^ Sweefu has won Sound Quality awards with entry level gear installed fantastically, listen to the man >.<

Gravity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY11 SSV Wagon
I have wagon; so no subs to replace. Price in earlier post $870.

If you had amp and subs, it'd be lively and a whole next level of audio to mine. Sedan have the parcel shelf too. it looks completely stock, you cant tell visually there are new speakers behind the trim.

I dont think dynamat was installed. I didn't know to ask or suggest. Maybe my system with no amp would not need it.

Mine can be upgraded by installing amp in the future if I wanted. It's possibility.

I don't know what "new baffles" are that Sweefu mentioned. :)

Hope that helps!