Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Yet another'check powertrain' - Misfiring thread for VZ commodore -

BeckyNitschke

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SVZ
Hi guys. I'm really appreciating that i am not alone in all this VZ misfiring crap!!

I have a 2006 VZ SVZ V6. I had the exhaust done after about 2 months of ownership. Ran fine for 1 month after this and then in December (Merry Christmas to me) started misfiring on the odd bank (all three! 1, 3 and 5).
At first the misfiring was serious and would do it with every start and "check powertrain" alarm would be on the dash after system check. Had all plugs done plus three coils on the bank that was misfiring. Ran fine for 10 days and then did it again only now when i turn the car off and back on again the system checks OK and it drives fine. It's done it about 3 times since then and has had jerky gear changes and delayed acceleration. I also swear the engine and exhaust noise is louder but maybe i'm paranoid.
Rang Holden's and they said there is a list as long as your arm as to what the problem could be. Suggested maybe blocked catalytic converter or earthing wires loose. Guess i'll find out soon or maybe i won't! Maybe i'll just sell it and buy a toyota (unlikely).

thevman

Reaction score
Members Ride
94vr 3.8L man ute
Hi there. Any luck with your misfire issue. I've just bought a 07vz SVZ manual ute and a week after buying it I'm driving along and I hear the check powertrain chime thing and engine light. Have you heard that the exhaust is meant to have 4 o2 sensors? And usually when people get new exhausts they only put two back on, confusing the ECU or whatever the computer is called... I also thought it might be one of my coil packs...

NAPWR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive 2006 3.6ltr Auto
Thanks for your Help fellows,

I also took pictures of the paper gasket removal, as that took an hour to scrape off.

fc7d95598670ad9d6b1623ab98843e40.jpg

need to lift out that yellow plug while scraping up paper gasket, and same on other side.

My site thread - http://xu-1.com/viewtopic.php?p=2837#p2837