Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overheating Problem VZ Crewman

Petenat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Crewman
Hi we have a vz crewman which has a brand new radiator, thermostat and water pump yet is still overheating, we are at our wits end with it and really can't afford to splash anymore money on it.

I was wondering what the symptoms would be if the head gaskets have gone? :s

Deltak

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi,

If one (or both) head gasket failed, you would get al least one of these symptoms: -

1. Water being ejected from the overflow and out the radiator cap when the engine is running.
2. Combustion fumes from the radiator with the cap removed. A garage / raditor shop can easily check.
3. Water in the oil. You would get a milky emulsion under the oil cap (and in the top of the engine).

Is the car running hotter than before or is it actually boiling?

If running hotter, it could simply be the temp sender has been damaged and is sending the wrong voltage back to the instruments. Simple fix.

MorganVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Is it showing overheating on the gauge?

Is the car running hotter than before or is it actually boiling?

If running hotter, it could simply be the temp sender has been damaged and is sending the wrong voltage back to the instruments. Simple fix.
This guys on the money, just replaced mine as it was faulty and was boiling without showing it was too hot

Last edited:

NMB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman
Hi! I'm having a similar problem in my crewman, no issues until heavy traffic, loosing coolant without leaks, fans come on but don't cool it. I'm changing my radiator this weekend, but can't for the life of me find the bleeder screw. Can anyone help?

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
should be top drivers side of the radiator (like a Phillips head) faulty caps will cause this also

MorganVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Hi! I'm having a similar problem in my crewman, no issues until heavy traffic, loosing coolant without leaks, fans come on but don't cool it. I'm changing my radiator this weekend, but can't for the life of me find the bleeder screw. Can anyone help?
If it's losing coolant without leaks it might be coming out the overflow, have you heard it boil yet? Could be a stuck thermostat

NMB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman
If it's losing coolant without leaks it might be coming out the overflow, have you heard it boil yet? Could be a stuck thermostat

So a very late reply, but thought I'd share the result..

Took it to a mechanic, told me it was the welsh plugs, and $3000 to replace them...Apparently they'd taken the manifold off to check, coolant under the manifold blah blah. I called bulls**t.
My dad took the manifold off, gasket wasn't broken or new (so seems like they maybe hadn't done that?), turns out it was a couple of o-rings. $100 including a service, and half a day.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
Okay. So diging up an old thread, but thought it was better than starting a new one, for a similar problem...
Have been having over heating issues, and getting bad airlock, with no apparent leaks. The car has almost 300k on clock, so I'm just replacing the entire cooling system; new radiator, hoses, thermostat, temp sensor, seals/gaskets, even going so far as to replace the belt and tension pulleys, and I've already done the pump and fans.
Was wanting to also run twin 'pull' fans on the front in an effort to get more airflow through the radiator. Traffic coming home can be horrendous. And was hoping to be able to run a thermos switch, instead of a manual one through the car. Am I able to run this off the standard temp sensor, or will the extra load cause problems with the ecu?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
None of the fans should be needed. Crewman or not. They will run as intended. Even a high powered LS is cooled fine with the factory fans.

Get into the How To I did on repairing and servicing Alloytec cooling systems. Using bleed screws and bleeding with an open cap is a joke. There’s a process.

Also check the coolant sensor. It may be giving false readings.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Here’s the walk through

If replacing the thermostat, understand the difficulty of the job. Ideally it’s gearbox out to do it. Many have gone at it from the top, but it’s like building a shop in a bottle.

I’d suggest with overheating, if the factory fans are not doing the job, there’s either trapped air not bled out properly or much more serious problems.