Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Increasing speed on highways?

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Minux, 150km from home might seem like an okay idea for city folk.
But it's something I do almost on a daily basis. Driving for a few hours on end is not a real issue for myself, and many other people living in rural area's. I would much profer to be able to travel at say 150km/h, because it would mean the time spent traveling from one town to another would be drasticlly cut.
Having said that, I would agree that it would not be a wise idea for anything to be changed in the cities or built up area's but.
Out here the roads are long, flat and generally in reasonable repair (Rural Vic), so I see no immediate problems with it, for local residents. How ever, generally when there is a fatality out here, the victims are generally City residents on holiday. They're either drunk of fatigued due to the fact that they aren't accustomed to travelling such distances.

Appologies for less than perfect spelling, I have no spellcheck on this PC.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
You can't speak for everyone!
No, but I ask people questions and base my statements on observation rather than just make up what comes to mind.
Perhaps in your own workplace ask people how long their drive to work is......and see how many answer in time, rather than kms. Do it.

I think you have missed the whole point.
The only answer to fatigue is to choose a manageable time for your journey and have the discipline to take breaks at regular time intervals.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Minux, 150km from home might seem like an okay idea for city folk.
But it's something I do almost on a daily basis. Driving for a few hours on end is not a real issue for myself, and many other people living in rural area's. I would much profer to be able to travel at say 150km/h, because it would mean the time spent traveling from one town to another would be drasticlly cut.
Having said that, I would agree that it would not be a wise idea for anything to be changed in the cities or built up area's but.
Out here the roads are long, flat and generally in reasonable repair (Rural Vic), so I see no immediate problems with it, for local residents. How ever, generally when there is a fatality out here, the victims are generally City residents on holiday. They're either drunk of fatigued due to the fact that they aren't accustomed to travelling such distances.

So it would be too hard to fill out a sheet saying you drove from a to b in x time with a compulsory 10 minute break etc?

Increasing speeds to 150 km/h would be a joke, people can't even travel at 100 km/h without coming to grief. As much as I would love higher speed limits the mentality of the majority of drivers does not allow it, i guess one of the main reasons we have such **** poor mentality is driver training and education or lack thereof.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
How ever, generally when there is a fatality out here, the victims are generally City residents on holiday. They're either drunk of fatigued due to the fact that they aren't accustomed to travelling such distances.

Whilst people from the city can come to grief on their holidays, the majority of people killed on country roads are country people.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
I used 150km/h as an example. You're probable right. Most people couldn't handle it.

Why should I have to fill in a bit of paper every time I drive some where?
As I said, 150-200km in a stint is nothing for most people out here. I'll drive to Melbourne and back in a day no drama's at all (400km). Its not anything outrageous.
I can see why people living in large cities my consider that a long way, but it's all a mater of perspective.
To me, Travelling to Adelaide is a bit of a trip but nothing too out of the ordinary.
Most people simply don't need to take a ten minute breather.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Commsirac.
Of course most of the people killed on country roads are country people. My previous comment was in regard to Holiday road tolls. (The one that the media kicks up a stink about.)

Would be surprised to hear that mostof the people involved in accidents in Melbourne are residents of Melbourne?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I used 150km/h as an example. You're probable right. Most people couldn't handle it.

Why should I have to fill in a bit of paper every time I drive some where?
As I said, 150-200km in a stint is nothing for most people out here. I'll drive to Melbourne and back in a day no drama's at all (400km). Its not anything outrageous.
I can see why people living in large cities my consider that a long way, but it's all a mater of perspective.
To me, Travelling to Adelaide is a bit of a trip but nothing too out of the ordinary.
Most people simply don't need to take a ten minute breather.

A lot of truck drivers can do 12 hours driving non stop, they are not allowed to though because of those who can't. Fact is fatigue is an issue on our road and I guantee almost everyone has driven fatigued at one point or another.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Commsirac.
Of course most of the eople killed on country roads are country people. My previous comment was in regard to Holiday road tolls. (The one that the media kicks up a stink about.)

Would be surprised to hear that mostof the people involved in accidents in Melbourne are residents of Melbourne?

Perhaps read what you wrote....carefully, where you claim fatalities in the country are largely due to visitors on holiday from the city::rolleyes:

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
No, but I ask people questions and base my statements on observation rather than just make up what comes to mind.
Perhaps in your own workplace ask people how long their drive to work is......and see how many answer in time, rather than kms. Do it.

I think you have missed the whole point.
The only answer to fatigue is to choose a manageable time for your journey and have the discipline to take breaks at regular time intervals.

So if travelling at 50k's an hour for 1000 kilometres would require x amount of breaks.
Doing the same 1000 kilometres at 100k's would require the same?

What school did you go to, its simple maths. While some may argue a little time off a 6 hour trip, i think any reduction in time driving that adds to fatigue is a good thing. Obviously people driving fatigued isn't a high priority to some (rather restricting young people)

I've only just started at my current job, and both the people i work directly with said the suburb, not time/k's. But your right, most people talk in time, because we use it all day every day! Depending on how you word the question, you can get whatever answer you choose ;)