Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Huston, we have a problem.

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
Cheers mate, the metal putty is curing now :) Hopefully this will work. If the metal putty doesn't work, I'm going to resign and remove the timing case cover :p

in the long run its probably best before you crack the timing cover best of luck

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I've still got me Semtex.....just one ounce....BANG! Something's gotta give!

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
in the long run its probably best before you crack the timing cover best of luck

No chance of breaking the timing cover, the sleeve goes nowhere near the timing cover. It only goes into the block.

Morton, there is no real chance of metal going in the block as there is a ledge right below the the sleeve on the inside. If you get to the stage where you are going to pull the timing cover off, give the sleeve a few smacks with a cold chisel and try and break it in half. You really have nothing to loose. :thumbsup:

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Well thanks for all the help guys, it appears this little bastard isn't going anywhere :)

At all.

I think the only way forward from here is to remove the timing cover. That involves removing the sump, and from what I gather, replacing sumps is best done with the motor upside down to let it cure properly?

I think I'll leave the car for now, save up some money, and buy an engine crane + stand to do this properly. Looks like the statesman's going to be off the road for some months :)

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
what a fun day with nothing achieved. tried just about every form of leverage and nothing would move it

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
No need to pull the sump right off Morton.....All you need to do is undo all the bolts apart from the 2 rear most ones and drop the sump down enough to get the timing cover out. No need to replace the sump gasket as on an EFI 5 litre its a 1 piece rubber item which is reuseable without any dramas. All you will need to replace is the timing cover gasket. It's a couple of hour job MAX to remove & refit the timing cover....

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
damn. those hours wasted today trying to avoid removing the cover, could have been spent removing the cover :(

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
is it hard getting the pulleys off? we werent sure if we would need a puller or not, or how similar they are to a v6

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Once you get the bolt out of the harmonic balancer the balancer will just slide off. They are a clearance fit on a Holden V8. The bolt will be tight, but being a manual all you need to do is put it in gear get someone to hold the brakes and then reef on the bolt with a breaker bar. Thats the hardest part really, the rest is very straight forward.