Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Huston, we have a problem.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Ahhh awesome, so much easier than pulling the balancer off a buick V6 :)

You're a legend Tim, and I'm guessing when you put the bolt back on, you torque it up to "freaking tight" newton metres? :p

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Thanks for the help mate :) I'll make a decision after a couple of weeks at work, whether I want to pull the motor out and do this properly, or do a quick fix through the front end ^_^

It wouldn't hurt to look at a baffled high volume sump to go with the high volume pump, and to go with the way I drive this thing through the hills.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Well thanks for all the help guys, it appears this little bastard isn't going anywhere :)

At all.

I think the only way forward from here is to remove the timing cover. That involves removing the sump, and from what I gather, replacing sumps is best done with the motor upside down to let it cure properly?

Morton - yes and no. It is possible (I did it only a few months ago) to remove and replace the front timing cover with the sump in place. It's just a bit of a bitch to get the gaskit back in place at the front again. If it is stuffed whilst removing it I'd just put a bead of silicone there and it should be fine. Just undo the front bolts on the sump and it slides off quite easily. Use that opportunity to replace the water pump and associated gaskits. Quite an easy job actually.

I think I'll leave the car for now, save up some money, and buy an engine crane + stand to do this properly. Looks like the statesman's going to be off the road for some months :)

If you need a crane give me a yell - I have one that does nothing 99% of the time that you are welcome to borrow.

Reaper

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Thanks for the help mate :) I'll make a decision after a couple of weeks at work, whether I want to pull the motor out and do this properly, or do a quick fix through the front end ^_^

It wouldn't hurt to look at a baffled high volume sump to go with the high volume pump, and to go with the way I drive this thing through the hills.

I looked into this not so long ago..... HiVol sump could be the go. I put one on my motor which should be back in the car next week or two. Chatting with the guys in the know, a good quality stock oil pump is more than fine for all but mega RPM race applications.

Reaper

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/1105580-post308.html

DSC00747.jpg

DSC00748.jpg

aDSC00757.jpg

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
lol morton you should have rang me ive havent been on much all weekend but i do have a welder capable of welding that sleeve :)
Let me know your plan of attack and i can help with whatever you need

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
I went out there tonight with an easy out thinking it'll get it out no worries i tell you what that sleeve is not moving i don't know what happened but its like its been loctited in. a slide hammer would work i think but there's no way of getting it in there without removing the or dropping the whole k-frame out.
Mortons now the proud owner of a new standard JP performance oil pump instead of the high volume version:p

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
Just pull the timing cover already....:D

With all this stuffing around, the timing cover could have been done about 10 times by now. :p

too much effort. it was much more fun and simpler attempting to design some sort of complicated pulley system, along with a piece of rope attached to a bolt screwed into the broken piece of pump

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I went out there tonight with an easy out thinking it'll get it out no worries i tell you what that sleeve is not moving i don't know what happened but its like its been loctited in. a slide hammer would work i think but there's no way of getting it in there without removing the or dropping the whole k-frame out.
Mortons now the proud owner of a new standard JP performance oil pump instead of the high volume version:p

Thanks for that Rory, you're a champ :) Hope you got some good change back for that high vol pump.

Just pull the timing cover already....:D

With all this stuffing around, the timing cover could have been done about 10 times by now. :p

I will eventually. This whole thing is the perfect excuse to pull the engine out!! My housemates will never know that I didn't HAVE to, and they'll let me take over the whole garage :p

too much effort. it was much more fun and simpler attempting to design some sort of complicated pulley system, along with a piece of rope attached to a bolt screwed into the broken piece of pump

Wasn't it :p hahaha, swinging that sledge hammer, I could have SWORN it would have come out!!