Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE sidi SV6 fuel economy

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
Fuel consumption stories are very similar to fishing stories..........

I'll tell you what,i'll come for a drive with you on that same Kangaroo Valley trip.
I'll put up $1000 to say that your car cannot do 4.6 litres per 100KMs for that run,only catch is that you have to pay me $1000 if it doesn't.
I'll bring a special seperate fuel tank with it's own fuel pump and exactly 4.6 litres per 100 kilometers of fuel in it.If you make it to Cambden you win,if you don't you give me $1000.

I'm fair dinkum about this,and would love to make some easy cash.
There is one condition though,no Granny driving,I expect you to sit on the speed limits.

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
Fuel consumption stories are very similar to fishing stories..........

I'll tell you what,i'll come for a drive with you on that same Kangaroo Valley trip.
I'll put up $1000 to say that your car cannot do 4.6 litres per 100KMs for that run,only catch is that you have to pay me $1000 if it doesn't.
I'll bring a special seperate fuel tank with it's own fuel pump and exactly 4.6 litres per 100 kilometers of fuel in it.If you make it to Cambden you win,if you don't you give me $1000.

I'm fair dinkum about this,and would love to make some easy cash.
There is one condition though,no Granny driving,I expect you to sit on the speed limits.

I would love to see this happen. I reckon you would make an easy $1000

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
no worries it's not hard to get good figures out of a manual on freeways. eg putting the clutch in when ever going down a slight decline letting the motor idle. as you can till from the pic i did the speed limit the whole trip.

most of that trip back from southern high lands is down hill.

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
no worries it's not hard to get good figures out of a manual on freeways. eg putting the clutch in when ever going down a slight decline letting the motor idle. as you can till from the pic i did the speed limit the whole trip.

most of that trip back from southern high lands is down hill.

There is about 400 metres height difference between Cambden and Kangaroo Valley,hardly enough to make much of a difference on a 2 hour trip.
Are you up for the bet then?
If you are, we can get a third party member who we both agree on to hold a $500 deposit from each of us.
I can video the whole event and we can put it on Youtube,even if you win.
I'd be happy to lose a $1000 dollar bet and eat humble pie if you can do it.

Oh btw you must be some driver if you did the whole trip and averaged 99.5 Kmh the whole way home,there are some wicked corners that simply can't be taken at 100Kmh by any car.This means that you must have done a fair bit of speeding,which disproves your consumption figures.

Anyway,like I said i'm definitely up for the bet,are you??
Maybe others would like to make side bets as well :) .

If I win the bet,i'll give the money to a charity that this forum can vote on.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
there's no way everyone here is talking about the same stretch of road!

average speed of 95km/h on the illawarra hwy?!?! pffftt... to quote a great movie "tell'em he's dreamin" :).

we arent talking hume hwy dual lane 110km speed limit coasting on cruise control folks. illawarra hwy/kangaroo valley is anything but.... and certainly isnt just 'downhill'. from what it looks like, someone is going to win $1000 very soon :).

and to the previous poster comparing small engine in a small car vs big engine in a big car through kangaroo valley, i'd take the small car any day of the week and twice on sunday! small car may have less torque, but literally weighs half as much... and every hairpin corner that you need to brake and then accelerate with the smaller car will use less fuel. it may not be as quick, but it will certainly get to the other side with less fuel used. both engines will be worked hard through all those corners, but I bet the larger block will slurp the juice in gulps over the small one!

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
braking can be kept to a minimum with a manual mate. if you read my posts i clearly state those figures were returned on the highway stint.

also whitey your welcome to find someone with a similar model and modded car but why would i waste the fuel and kms on my car? or my time off work? no way i'm letting some forum random hook up an external tank and fuel system to my car.

the stint on illawarra hw is pretty small. the way i go anyway down old south road very straight near no throttle required as it's a steep decline.

also to make that econemy again i'd have to buy an airhammer again and ditch the otr. as i said since the otr i don't get any where near those figures anymore.

Last edited:

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
that was on a drive from kangaroo valley. i reset it when i left KV and that was what it was at when i got home to Camden.

Mate your trip computer is broken lolz. There is no way in hell a 1500kg V6 is going to get 4.6l/100km on any piece of road bar a big 100km downhill slope. My trip computer tells me im doing 6L/100 on some freeway runs but when i refill and calculate how much fuel it has actually used the figures comes closer to 7.5 - 9L/100km.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Mate your trip computer is broken lolz. There is no way in hell a 1500kg V6 is going to get 4.6l/100km on any piece of road bar a big 100km downhill slope. My trip computer tells me im doing 6L/100 on some freeway runs but when i refill and calculate how much fuel it has actually used the figures comes closer to 7.5 - 9L/100km.

the vz's + the alloytecs are basically fail...

what mods have you done to your car??

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
the vz's + the alloytecs are basically fail...

what mods have you done to your car??

Just a VCM tune mate. That is still aside the point though, a 3.6L V6 just won't return 4.6L/100km. That would mean it could do 1600km on a tank lolz. Even the new SIDI Holden add on tv only boasts a 900km range on a tank and it has direct injection.