Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE lemons

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
where do you get your fact's from whitey? not trying to be a smart arse mate..

I've worked on them (Commodores) for over 22 years.
Don't get me wrong,they are a great car to drive,easily the best out of the bunch for that.
The things I don't like is the engine noise from the V6,the road noise,the crappy plastics and poor design in a few key areas.
Much of this has been fixed with revisions during manufacturing,the cars built now are much better than those built in the first couple of years.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Except in the reliability stakes.
The VE is the least reliable Commodore EVER!!
And that is a fact.

ORLY??? I have had 200,000km of trouble free motoring.

Reaper

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi

Reaper

Someone on the internet disagree's, your wrong reaper.:p

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan

Reaper

Never had a flat battery?
Never had a rework done by Holden?
Never had any software updates to fix issues?

Have you had any warranty work done at all?
You have a very unique car there,maybe you should send it back to Holden so they can pull it apart and see what they did right.

Last time I bothered counting,the VE had over 330 service techlines (these are faults and fixes for people not in the know).I find it very hard to believe that your car has done over 200,000kms without experiencing any of them.

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
Ok,i've just done a quick count between the VT Commodore and the VE.
The VT was the last new body platform,which was considered unreliable after release.

VT = 99 Service Techlines.
VE =339 Service Techlines (and still counting as it's still in production).

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride

You have a very unique car there,maybe you should send it back to Holden so they can pull it apart and see what they did right.

Last time I bothered counting,the VE had over 330 service techlines (these are faults and fixes for people not in the know).I find it very hard to believe that your car has done over 200,000kms without experiencing any of them.

Ummm - they replaced the RH Door grab handle where the leather was coming adrift and they fitted a counterweight to the auto to resolve a slight harmoinc humm at 110 km/h. Although annoying I'm not sure it would constitute unreliability.

My car has not done anywhere near 200,000 km - I'm on my second VE that is just coming up to 100 and the other one got moved on just over 100,000.

Reaper

*oh yeah - the flip key thing lost it's springyness. Didn't stop the key from operating and Holden just gave me another one no questions asked.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L

Whitey, I dunno whether software updates and flat batteries would be considered faults that would make the VE the 'most unreliable commodore ever'.
Vehicles have warranty periods to fix problems like this, and whilst you'd have much more experience in working with VE's than me... I seriously doubt the VE would be named even in the top 3 of most unreliable commordores ever.
There's been some pretty terrible commodores in the past- faulty brake lights anyone?

And I get what you are saying with techline numbers, but I think that has more to do with modern technology, and less to do with reliablity issues.
Today's cars are pretty much pc's on wheels, and combined with issues that are very quickly made public domain with online forums such as this one, it's no wonder more issues are being identified than in the past.

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
More VEs have suffered flat batteries than any model before it.This is a very big reliability issue,and one that has several possible causes.
The fact that a vehicle has a warranty has absolutely nothing to do with how reliable it is,what use is a warranty when your car won't start and you're in a hurry or worse still,an emergency??

You don't seem to get it regarding the techline numbers.Electronics will always be the least reliable system in any vehicle,the fact that Holden went mad with technology on the VE is exactly what made it unreliable. That and buying cheap quality components.

If you want an example of unesessary technology, just check out the way the battery charge is controlled on a VE.

Public forums like this one don't get to see anywhere near half of the problems,believe me on that one.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Come to think of it, the only Commodore that has left me stranded was my VX that had a fuel gauge calibration issue that ran me out of petrol on several occasions. It was showing anywhere from 1/3 - 2/3 full when it was indeed empty. On one occasion I went around a corner and watched the fuel gauge plummet from 1/2 full to empty alarm within 5 seconds. No problems I thought - there is a petrol station about 5 km up the road only to have it run out of petrol 200m up the road :/.

Reaper

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
More VEs have suffered flat batteries than any model before it.This is a very big reliability issue,and one that has several possible causes.
The fact that a vehicle has a warranty has absolutely nothing to do with how reliable it is,what use is a warranty when your car won't start and you're in a hurry or worse still,an emergency??

You don't seem to get it regarding the techline numbers.Electronics will always be the least reliable system in any vehicle,the fact that Holden went mad with technology on the VE is exactly what made it unreliable. That and buying cheap quality components.

If you want an example of unesessary technology, just check out the way the battery charge is controlled on a VE.

Public forums like this one don't get to see anywhere near half of the problems,believe me on that one.

huh? the ve have more wiring in them used & unused for future models and work out cheaper to do it this way than do it late on (this is fact), my ve is 2 years old and has never had a flat battery, the software updates are done to get the maximum performance from the car(doesnt your computer do this as well), and whitey my vy was worse when it came to rework does this sound familiar power steering shudder, warped discs and faulty steering wheel audio controls.