Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE lemons

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
Yeah that was a well known issue that was fixed with revised software or a new sender unit.
The VX was a very reliable vehicle apart from this fault.

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
huh? the ve have more wiring in them used & unused for future models and work out cheaper to do it this way than do it late on (this is fact), my ve is 2 years old and has never had a flat battery, the software updates are done to get the maximum performance from the car(doesnt your computer do this as well), and whitey my vy was worse when it came to rework does this sound familiar power steering shudder, warped discs and faulty steering wheel audio controls.

Like the wiring for the glove box light along with the glove box light that was deleted to save costs on low range models?
Exactly which unused wiring are you talking about? I don't see any "Unused" or "For future models only" in the wiring diagrams or harness pin-outs i've looked at.
And what this has to do with what we are talking about? i'll never know ??

The reworks you mention on the VY are trivial compared to the VE and are all very easy to fix,even by a home mechanic.
Most software updates were to fix mistakes,not to get maximum performance.

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
Ok,i've just done a quick count between the VT Commodore and the VE.
The VT was the last new body platform,which was considered unreliable after release.

VT = 99 Service Techlines.
VE =339 Service Techlines (and still counting as it's still in production).

i think the ve is a bit more technological advanced than the vt:idea3:, or should we all just go back to driving mini mokes because its more reliable:idea:

flyjoe180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Still, the VE is hardly a lemon though is it. Time is the big teller as to whether a model of car was reliable or not.

All new cars have their issues, and as an example, one of the latest and most prolific issues was that experienced by Toyota. Toyotas have a well-proven and long term reputation for being basically 'bullet proof' because they have by nature been relatively simple cars. Adding technology and advanced systems to the basic Toyota design principles gave them some major headaches.

The fact that the newer build VE's are having their issues ironed out indicates Holden are solving known problems and the VE will go on to be one of the best Commodores ever built.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Except in the reliability stakes.
The VE is the least reliable Commodore EVER!!
And that is a fact.

It's also the most refined, the most fuel efficient and the most technologically advanced ever aswell.

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
i think the ve is a bit more technological advanced than the vt:idea3:, or should we all just go back to driving mini mokes because its more reliable:idea:

A mini moke is not reliable at all? Have you ever owned one or knew someone who did?
The VW beetle was one of the most reliable vehicles ever,this was due to an air cooled engine and very basic electrics,maybe you were thinking of it?.

I'm not calling the VE a lemon like the OP,i'm calling it unreliable as a model overall,which it is.
You are spot on flyjoe180 in saying that time is the big teller,we'll dig this thread up in about 2 - 3 years when most of these are out of warranty and see who was right.
In the meanwhile frednurke will still be driving along in his VS wagon.I have one too as a second car,it's got over 300,000kms on it and I just can't get rid of it,it's too damn reliable.

Mix 6000

"Balck" VE Maloo R8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo R8
Thort I might have had some sensible replies but I guess I was wrong. Oh and one more gripe, the engine noise is far too high for such a so-called modern car.
And BTW `I have had a HG premier, HJ Vacationer, VC, and of course the best of all, my trusty VS wagon. Why can't they make a decent car after all these years?
What a load of hot "Cocky SH*T" Where did they get this Monkey from? :doh:I love my VE, I've had a VS & it's not even in the same ball park!!!!! To call it a Lemon because of those 2 items...just makes me laugh. I know If I were in an accident I know which car I'd rather be in....just my 2 cents worth (maybe shoulda said "my 2 Pennies worth?")

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
whitey66 god i hope you dont actualy work for holden these day's god knows i wouldnt want someone like you working on my ve.
you continue to mention the number of techlines but make little mention on the nature of these and how many a revisions of previous techlines this would be a not uncommin process i know every time i turn on my pc it scans the net for all the updates and revisions that have been issued because that is the nature of moden electronics.

there is a battery issue thats seams to have been rectified in most cases and the are a lot of techline revisions and rethinks this means that they are looking at issues and trying to resolve them. i mean think about it the make this massive investment in ve then they find some bugs they are going to want to iron thees out under warranty so ve owners then upgrade to vf this is why they have somany fixes so the retain customers and get a return on investment

392RWkwSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
Ok,i've just done a quick count between the VT Commodore and the VE.
The VT was the last new body platform,which was considered unreliable after release.

VT = 99 Service Techlines.
VE =339 Service Techlines (and still counting as it's still in production).

whitey im sorry dude after working on the damn things for over 22 years i would have hoped that as a holden mechanic you would have realised thats the ve is the most technically sophisticated vehicle that holden has ever produced. it is heavily reliant on its electrical system as is any modern day car. it is pure common sense that it is going to have more fixes. and may i ask of the 339 service techlines how many are serious? and how many of those are software upgrades? from my knowledge the most serious fix was for the battery in the early ve's.

and on another point good on holden for finding fixes to 339 problems. they have all contributed to making a good car even better!