Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it worth going from the SIDI 3.6 to SSV 6.0?

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
True that but it is not always about the biggest bollox...sometimes it's just about getting the best out of what you have got just because you can and if someone wants to spend on the R&D then yipya for them. Would be good for all the other SIDI owners to see the results one way or another. Oh.....but the extra cubes would also be sweet.

It is mostly about biggest bollocks if you spend $5000 on a V6 and $5000 on V8 the chances are your going to be flogged by the V8!

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Made me grin just reading that. Interesting, we're all different in this forum but clearly we all have one thing in common other than piloting Commodores, we love driving.

That's what sets us apart from the camry drivers!

I think that sums up the car enthusiast though. the car is more than just a means of getting from one place to another as the action of driving the route between is the true joy of motoring. Amen.

OZChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SS Sportswagon
I was wondering if the SIDI 3.6 is getting 14L/100km, what would the 6.0L get in very heavy traffic averaging roughly the same 30km/h?.... would be good to know since my VY is getting 13.5l/100km at 40km/h avg, in melbournes outer east.... and i would love the 8

I get low 14s from my SIDI SV6 Sedan and the wife gets low 16s in her SS Sportwagon - hope it helps :)

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
That's what sets us apart from the camry drivers!

I think that sums up the car enthusiast though. the car is more than just a means of getting from one place to another as the action of driving the route between is the true joy of motoring. Amen.

lol couldnt agree more man, cant wait to join the v8 crew :D

3onTree

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline Sportswagon
I was wondering if the SIDI 3.6 is getting 14L/100km, what would the 6.0L get in very heavy traffic averaging roughly the same 30km/h?.... would be good to know since my VY is getting 13.5l/100km at 40km/h avg, in melbournes outer east.... and i would love the 8

My car only has 5200kms on it and averages 14l/100 and average speed is about 32km/hr which is depressing. It may yet free up and better 14l/100. In the v8 it would seem to make sense for the AFM to cut cylinders at idle as well as highway cruising. Either way the 6.0 will drink maybe a further 2-3 l/100km? So assuming 70litre tank that's 500km per tank at 14l/100km. If the 8 averages 16l/100km then you'd get about 438km from a 70litre tank. I think it's worth driving fewer kilometers if you must, and make them all V8 kilometers!

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
My car only has 5200kms on it and averages 14l/100 and average speed is about 32km/hr which is depressing. It may yet free up and better 14l/100. In the v8 it would seem to make sense for the AFM to cut cylinders at idle as well as highway cruising. Either way the 6.0 will drink maybe a further 2-3 l/100km? So assuming 70litre tank that's 500km per tank at 14l/100km. If the 8 averages 16l/100km then you'd get about 438km from a 70litre tank. I think it's worth driving fewer kilometers if you must, and make them all V8 kilometers!

The utes have a 73L tank

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
It is mostly about biggest bollocks if you spend $5000 on a V6 and $5000 on V8 the chances are your going to be flogged by the V8!

I don't at all disagree that cubes are the go...absolutely no argument there if I was racing it. Although you prolly pay 5k more for a v8 so to equate spending you would need to spend 5 on ya v8 and 10 on ya v6. But if ya gonna spend 10k on your v6 then you should just buy a v8....so as you can then spend more on your insurance, fuel and tyres. What I said was it was all about the fun of seeing what you can do with what you have got...lets call it a hobby for want of a better word.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I don't at all disagree that cubes are the go...absolutely no argument there if I was racing it. Although you prolly pay 5k more for a v8 so to equate spending you would need to spend 5 on ya v8 and 10 on ya v6. But if ya gonna spend 10k on your v6 then you should just buy a v8....so as you can then spend more on your insurance, fuel and tyres. What I said was it was all about the fun of seeing what you can do with what you have got...lets call it a hobby for want of a better word.

I agree with you 100%. For a car enthusiast, the only thing better than working in your car is driving it when you've put it back together, regardless of the car. I think the point though of the original question was if it is worth upgrading from a stock sv6 to a stock SS. In peak hour, CBD traffic, the difference is negligible. The trade off for the rumble while you're in neutral is that you watch the fuel guage go down a little faster. I mean, let's face it, you're not going to be testing the limits of grip in the city during business hours no matter what you're driving. The real difference is when you get the chance to take that Sunday morning run up to the mountains or down to Bulli or wherever. That's when the SS makes all the sense in the world. Would it make more sense to have a city car and a fun car? Probably... But I, for one, can't afford that.. So I suck it up at the pump and enjoy the V8 when the roads are clear. Not practical for most, but it works for me.