Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DIY Window Tint

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
i think its about time i tinted my windows (already needs to re do the back window because it is stuffed from sikaflexing 3rd brake light, i guess i learn from my mistakes) I am just wondering what the darkest legal tint is.

also for a DIY job, is this something i'd be looking for? x4 > CAR WINDOW TINT FILM TINTING 3M X 50CM 75% DARK BLACK | eBay if that is the right product, which percentage would be the darkest legal in that product line?

EDIT: also these other ones look alright aswell, good priced. just not sure if they are any good?, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-M-x-50...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b9854a84 & http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Window-T...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc5e4be53

so does anyone know about window tinting or had any experience with these i have listed ^

thank you

Last edited:

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS equip, 4.2L stroker on its way.
I wouldn't risk doing it myself, but good luck. Near where I live there's a mob that does any car for $200 with lifetime warranty, so I did that. Good tint makes a big difference to a car.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Just pay for someone who knows what they're doing to do it. It needs to be heat shrunk onto the rear screen because of the inverted curve of the glass. Too easy to fk up if you've never done it.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Just get the pros to do it so much easier

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
yeah thats what my brother tells me. but i thought it would be like $500 to get all the windows tinted?

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well usually it's around that mark, but there are a few mobs around that do a standard car much cheaper, and provide warranties. The place I got mine done for $200 turned out perfectly, using the darkest legal tint.

Mattk101

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 sidi 2010
I got mine from Solartint for $300, can't beat that, lifetime warranty, aswell as reputable brand, that's who Holden sends their cars to get them done, but they wanted me to pay $600 for them to take it there and do it. So took it myself for half the price. Had it for nearly 3 years now, not a single wrinkle or bubble. Not yet anyway lol

bj42turbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Executive
As most people have said, better to get the pro's to do it, all my cars and work vehicles past & presnt have been done for less than $200 bucks from Teppas Tint (no good for you in WA though)

Dazz

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I tried it when I was restoring my HR back in the mid 80's. I figured it would be easy to do with the side windows stripped out of the doors.

Wrong.

Schnitt of a job. Those professionals are welcome to it.

Do not bother trying a DIY job. You will most likely get nowhere near the finish that the professionals achieve and will probably suffer mass frustration trying.

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Exactly as he said, and there is nothing more ugly then bubbled up crackly widow tint. Yuck.