Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gave car a good belting now knocking when cold??

Yergin

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 MY08 WM Caprice 6.0L V8
how is the penis measuring helping the OP???.

But always remember the car is useless without a good driver which is why my first car a 202 black 6 cylinder VK Commodore smashed a WRX when the useless twit stalled on the line!.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Engines probably ####ed now... I'll post a vid for you to listen to and tell me if its the same knock, knock, knock, for about 30sec to 2 mins

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Good point.

Get under the car and put a long screw driver to the sump and your ear and listen along the sump to hear where its comming from.
It wouldnt hurt to take the oil filter off and replace it with a new one. Pour the oil out of the filter and see if theres any more metal then usual.
I hope its nothing serious.

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
I would say possible minor damage to big end bearing, as the engine heats up the clearance reduces and it quietens,

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Here is a video of what mine use to sound like... (same sound suffered over 3 engines)

This is the OEM engine

http://youtu.be/MZqPTxXCn6g

This was the second new engine after 10,000klm

28042010 - YouTube

The 3rd engine was the same till they installed an L77, but because they bastardised it, it had constant lifter tick.....

Good luck with it...

Darren D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Z-Series 6M Sedan
From the info you have supplied I very much doubt that you have spun a bearing or done a big end bearing etc.

More likely that you valve bounced it and have crushed a lifter.

Listen closely on start-up, a bearing knock is a savage knocking sound whereas a sticky lifter will tap tap tap tap tap tap tap until it pumps up again.

Darren

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Gotta love V8 owners and the whole no way a 4 cylinder would beat my car attitude.

No different to retards that think a turbo beats all V8s. Fact is my car isnt even heavily modified and Ive lost count of how many WRXs and skylines Ive beaten, on a track too with corners. Oh but he obviously couldnt drive you say, hence the invention of the ricer book of excuses. Another moronic way of thinking in regards to "oh its a commodore it cant turn corners". Get educated before making wild claims and making yourself out to be an idiot.

Moral of the story, only uneducated morons would say a wrx that youve never seen would "hand your ass to you" in a Commodore youve never seen. Its not even close to comparing a specific vehicle to another where you know all mods done.

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
Off topic a bit, but thanks Ricey for you info on the 5 speed tranny oil change, changed it last weekend and added a cooler at the same time. Cheers mate.

LS1 James

Donates His Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II GEN3 V8 Wagz
Here is a video of what mine use to sound like... (same sound suffered over 3 engines)

This is the OEM engine

20102009(001) - YouTube

This was the second new engine after 10,000klm

28042010 - YouTube

The 3rd engine was the same till they installed an L77, but because they bastardised it, it had constant lifter tick.....

Good luck with it...

Holy **** that's munted!!

6 or 8?