Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
OK, so Bruce Baird is our new Premier. I think that's good news. Baird has impressed me for some time as being are more progressive than O'Farrell. He is prepared to sell off the poles and wires - O'Farrell wasn't, despite all the advice and evidence suggesting he should. NSW needs a large injection of funds to get infrastructure moving and the deal recently negotiated between NSW and the Federal government, involving state asset sell-offs, should see something moving, and possibly, a lot more of it, now that Baird is at the helm.

As for Barry, well, I find it extremely difficult to believe that he could not remember receiving the bottle of wine. Incredibly stupid blunder for an "honest" politician.
Might want to check who your Premier is there champ.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
OK, so Bruce Baird is our new Premier. I think that's good news. Baird has impressed me for some time as being are more progressive than O'Farrell.

What about Mike Baird? Is he just as impressive as Bruce?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Ah, well, MIKE Baird.

At least we all knew who I meant. And my comments stand. He should make a better Premier than O'Farrell and get things going that BOF steadfastly refused to move on.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
NSW ALP sold our power off for a song and from what I can gather we didn't get a drop in price or improvement in service. All that happened socially was a group of investors who possibly already had money are now even richer.

As for Baird - not a fan, I believe he is part of the right-wing christian faction in NSW Liberal, big connections to Hill$ong etc. (But of course am open to correction ;) )

As I understand it, the real worth of the power generation has remained in government hands until now and that is what will realise the big money.

NSW has held out against privatising its power generation for years after all? other states privatised theirs. I can't think of one single benefit we have gained in this State by holding out against the trend.

Baird's religious beliefs don't matter a damn to me, in the same way Abbott's don't. So long as they do the job that their predecessors failed to do, and the state/nation benefit, I couldn't care less what their religious colours are.

If religion within politics was a concern, I would be very worried if Fred Nile got the top job, but to be honest, I can't see how religious commitment can be any worse than environmental commitment like the Greens display.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
As I understand it, the real worth of the power generation has remained in government hands until now and that is what will realise the big money.

NSW has held out against privatising its power generation for years after all? other states privatised theirs. I can't think of one single benefit we have gained in this State by holding out against the trend.

Baird's religious beliefs don't matter a damn to me, in the same way Abbott's don't. So long as they do the job that their predecessors failed to do, and the state/nation benefit, I couldn't care less what their religious colours are.

If religion within politics was a concern, I would be very worried if Fred Nile got the top job, but to be honest, I can't see how religious commitment can be any worse than environmental commitment like the Greens display.

An overtly christian politician is much more likely to look down on the gay community. Baird himself has previously said homosexuality is a 'lifestyle choice'. Well #### me. When did he 'choose' to be straight then?. ####ing arsehole. But if you aren't sympathetic to LGBT causes, I can understand your indifference.
Whilst they may not rate highly on your radar (or must people's radars on this thread for that matter) at least environmental issues do exist, and there is scientific backing to this effect. Conversely, there is no evidence to have a rational religious belief, so I find your comparison a bit odd. If a politician wants to be religious, he/she has every liberty to do so, but they really should stay out of people's moral social lives, for it's none of their damn business.....

Last edited:

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
I dont have an issue with it and I am as anti christian as they come.

Christian values and morals are a everyday part of western life, they are deep in the roots of our entire legal system - one politician, especially a state one is not going to change that.

Well yes, marriage law is dictated at federal level, and the Coalition have the impasse on that all stitched up ;) I simply resent uneducated, backwards comments such as those espoused by the new premier. It clearly shows they do not understand that particular issue at all. But that's just me.....

As for Christian Morals - interesting point - though basically all world religions in their moderate forms condemn lying, theft and murder. There are some very bizarre and odd things the bible, koran and pali cannon ban though.....however hardline christians tend to choose those that satisfy their underlying prejudices.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
An overtly christian politician is much more likely to look down on the gay community. Baird himself has previously said homosexuality is a 'lifestyle choice'. Well #### me. When did he 'choose' to be straight then?. ####ing arsehole. But if you aren't sympathetic to LGBT causes, I can understand your indifference.
Whilst they may not rate highly on your radar (or must people's radars on this thread for that matter) at least environmental issues do exist, and there is scientific backing to this effect. Conversely, there is no evidence to have a rational religious belief, so I find your comparison a bit odd. If a politician wants to be religious, he/she has every liberty to do so, but they really should stay out of people's moral social lives, for it's none of their damn business.....

I will be perfectly candid. I am not sympathetic. Not one bit. And I'm damned if I can see any reason why anybody should try to make me feel guilty for having that view. Nor do I seek understanding from the gay community for my preferences. I prefer to let people be what they are and live the way they want to. Full stop.

If that is your sole reason for disliking him, either personally or as state leader, that is entirely your prerogative. I can say though, that if he was gay himself, or had indicated strong sypathies towards the Gay and Lesbian Community, it would NOT have any influence whatsoever on my views, because I accept that people have differing views and values to mine, but it doesn't mean they are unfit to hold a position of trust or authority.

Unlike you, it seems.

Last edited:

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
I will be perfectly candid. I am not sympathetic. Not one bit. And I'm damned if I can see any reason why anybody should try to make me feel guilty for having that view.

If that is your sole reason for disliking him, either personally or as state leader, that is entirely your prerogative. I can say though, that if he was gay himself, or had indicated strong sypathies towards the Gay and Lesbian Community, it would NOT have any influence whatsoever on my views, because I accept that people have differing views and values to mine, but it doesn't mean they are unfit to hold a position of trust or authority.

Unlike you, it seems.
Gawd, bit defensive? If you aren't gay or have gay people in your life (I am assuming but open to correction) of course you would be non-committal on the matter. That's ok. I don't judge you for that. ;)

No I am not a fan of him because he is a liberal premier. I did/do prefer Farrell for I saw him as more socially progressive. But I still didn't like him overall, for the previously stated reason, quite a few policies of NSW liberals I don't like.

There is also the difference between saying something I don't agree with, and saying something that is patently incorrect, and potentially hurtful and divisive.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
As for Christian Morals - interesting point - though basically all world religions in their moderate forms condemn lying, theft and murder. There are some very bizarre and odd things the bible, koran and pali cannon ban though.....however hardline christians tend to choose those that satisfy their underlying prejudices.

Religion as a whole is what our entire world is based on. It may not have a place in a lot of peoples day to day lives (it doesnt in mine) but it is EVERYWHERE. I agree there are lots of weird things in religion of all faiths. But our system was and still is very much based on laws and practices passed down by people who were extremely influenced by religion or people working specifically for the church.

Im speaking from a law makers view here as this was one of the big reasons why I was so cynical doing law at uni, our system is so bogged down in the 1900s and because of the rule of precedence there is a huge reluctance to change.

While I dont think a highly religious person is BAD for the current system, its just nothing will change.

With that being said, I dont think one politician, be it state of federal can or change this and it wont change for another generation until the people currently doing law (the ones being taught to be cynical of the current system) finish their careers and go into politics to make a name for themselves.

I think I may have went a bit off topic, sorry.