Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Flat Key

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
It only takes a couple of minutes to program a key... catch is if you don't have a working key you need the security code for the BCM from holden to program a new key, was $50-$60 i think the last time i asked for them to access it and supply it to you.
You also have to prove ownership. If the BCM has been changed you need the VIN from the car it came from and once again have to prove ownership which is pretty much impossible.

Regarding the above pic of a cr2032 button cell, DO NOT solder them, it will damage it.
It can also explode which wouldn't be a pleasant experience wearing that in the face from the heat of the soldering iron as it is a sealed cell so the expanding gases have to go somewhere.
Buy one with solder tabs like this
bat-pana-cr2032-2tabs-bottom.jpg

If buying a new blank from ebay then make sure it is OEM, the cheap knockoff's are crap and won't program (been there done that).
Check the logo on the back, if the low parts of this are not smooth with a rough finish and is more of a raised concave feel then it is a clone.

Spot the difference
fob_zpsr5w0rdes.jpg

Last edited:

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
It only takes a couple of minutes to program a key... catch is if you don't have a working key you need the security code for the BCM from holden to program a new key, was $50-$60 i think the last time i asked for them to access it and supply it to you.
You also have to prove ownership. If the BCM has been changed you need the VIN from the car it came from and once again have to prove ownership which is pretty much impossible.

Regarding the above pic of a cr2032 button cell, DO NOT solder them, it will damage it.
It can also explode which wouldn't be a pleasant experience wearing that in the face from the heat of the soldering iron as it is a sealed cell so the expanding gases have to go somewhere.
Buy one with solder tabs like this
bat-pana-cr2032-2tabs-bottom.jpg

If buying a new blank from ebay then make sure it is OEM, the cheap knockoff's are crap and won't program (been there done that).
Check the logo on the back, if the low parts of this are not smooth with a rough finish and is more of a raised concave feel then it is a clone.

Spot the difference
fob_zpsr5w0rdes.jpg

I didn't know it could damage or blow them up. I reckon i have done over 10 keys AFAIK they have never had any problems. My last one is going strong after 3 years. Will be using battery with solder tabs in future. Also I have edited my 1st post.

jamesth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
For future reference, buy a new key off ebay and I can program them for $30 (if you're in Vic)
Hi Sandman, is your offer to program replacement keys still open ?
I guess there would have been a bit of inflation by now!

James

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I also program them in $40.
(If your in Melbourne)

Last edited:

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Been a bloody long time since I've done one (probably nearly 2015). But once I remember how to do them, yeah happy to do so.