Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How many of you would buy VF SERIES 2 again (SS)

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I just put my blown Series 1 Calais V on Carsales. Fantastic car and if I had more garage space would keep it. I bought (pick up Tuesday) the new Golf R hot AWD 5 door hatch. Should be a completely different experience.
It certainly will be. Good luck with the Calais.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
I wouldn't buy again if my ute got totaled, I'd have a cry, buy the wreck back and start looking for a Colorado with a borked engine so I could make what I actually wanted to buy in the first place.

Why they haven't made a V8 Colorado is beyond me. I give the Holden guys **** about it every time I see them.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
If the passion isn't there, any car you drive will be just a means of getting from a to b. No car can change that.

You might have hit the nail on the head...
Never thought about it that way....
Hard to come to the terms with as cars have been integral part of my life for long time....****

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
Yes id probley consider a brand new one if it wasnt too late. I love my ute and it suits all my needs. Im a tradie but inside a bakery and i need the ute for my house renos. Most "tradies" drive hiluxs and 4wd typed because it towes alot more than a holden ute and holds more. So it all depends on your needs

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
I'ver had mine for a bit over 6 months now and I'd say I'd grab another VFII V8.

Not 100% sure if I'd get a wagon though since the big plan was to get something to put the dog in the back but I don't see me letting her near the inside of the Calais :)

Not sure how insurance works with eplacing a vehicle but I bought this thing for just under 50k in Feb with 5,000km on the clock. So I'd say 50 grand wouldn't get me much as far as V8 VFII's go.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Not sure how insurance works with eplacing a vehicle but I bought this thing for just under 50k in Feb with 5,000km on the clock. So I'd say 50 grand wouldn't get me much as far as V8 VFII's go.
That totally depends on your policy. If it's "agreed-value" then you'll already know what you'll get back; if it's "market-value" then they'll give you whatever you could buy a '16 car like yours for on the used market ... dunno, what's your worth, is it more than you bought it for?

Why they haven't made a V8 Colorado is beyond me. I give the Holden guys **** about it every time I see them.
Would be a combo of a small target-market vs the development cost; they wouldn't sell enough to make it worthwhile, and it'd end-up costing GTS money (with no possible way to get Commodore handling).
I believe Ford are doing a Ranger Lightning (baby brother to the arse-sounding F150 Lightning), but it's going to be V6 EcoBoost.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Would be a combo of a small target-market vs the development cost; they wouldn't sell enough to make it worthwhile, and it'd end-up costing GTS money (with no possible way to get Commodore handling).
I believe Ford are doing a Ranger Lightning (baby brother to the arse-sounding F150 Lightning), but it's going to be V6 EcoBoost.

I'm not so sure the market is as small as they think it is. On the ground dealing with end customers I'd be confident in suggesting a bunch of sales straight up (myself included). Problem being that it doesn't fit into Holden's new age yuppie bullshit image they're trying so hard to gain.

As for the development cost, if an aftermarket joint can do it Holden can do it easily enough (from what I've gleaned from some of the guys I've spoken to, their engineering guys have looked into it). I don't think anyone would buy it expecting Commodore handling, I'd be happy to compromise handling off - I like the way the new Colorados drive, but can't deal with the lack of grunt and the turbo lag. Oil burners aren't really my thing either.

I really think Holden need to go out on a limb. Consider - Holden sell quite a lot of Colorados. Holden also currently sell a lot of V8's. Look at Ford with the Mustang - demand is there if you do it right, and nobody else offers a V8 in a ute except Toyota and it's diesel. Cost wouldn't be a great deal different to build either (if anything it will be cheaper as LS motors are much cheaper than common-rail turbo diesels).

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
That totally depends on your policy. If it's "agreed-value" then you'll already know what you'll get back; if it's "market-value" then they'll give you whatever you could buy a '16 car like yours for on the used market ... dunno, what's your worth, is it more than you bought it for?

Actually I dare say it was agreed value at 50k. I'd be screwed lol

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
You might have hit the nail on the head...
Never thought about it that way....
Hard to come to the terms with as cars have been integral part of my life for long time....****
Yeah it happens hey. You'll always get used to the power. No matter how much your car has. Drive a lesser vehicle for a while and you'll appreciate once again how good your SS is I reckon.
I'll be driving a Mazda 2 as my daily. So, the MSE will be a real thrill to drive on weekends etc. I'll up the power to max without a cam change. Say 380kw or so. But then, obviously it's not just the acceleration that I love about these cars. It's the whole package. For example an XR6T for less than $10k can easily be tuned to be quicker than a tuned LS3. Big deal. These are not drag cars. They're road cars and as a tourer and occasional track car they are without compare in my opinion.
Good luck with it Ron.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Yeah it happens hey. You'll always get used to the power. No matter how much your car has. Drive a lesser vehicle for a while and you'll appreciate once again how good your SS is I reckon.
I'll be driving a Mazda 2 as my daily. So, the MSE will be a real thrill to drive on weekends etc. I'll up the power to max without a cam change. Say 380kw or so. But then, obviously it's not just the acceleration that I love about these cars. It's the whole package. For example an XR6T for less than $10k can easily be tuned to be quicker than a tuned LS3. Big deal. These are not drag cars. They're road cars and as a tourer and occasional track car they are without compare in my opinion.
Good luck with it Ron.

Yeah I get it.
I am far from selling it but I just started pondering why I just was not thrilled with it...
I drive it every day to work...
Really enjoy it on long trips though...

Last edited: