Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] Replacing mufflers with hotdogs

Blaizen82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7 LS1 Gen 3
Hey, I have put the HSV exhaust off a VU Maloo on my VX SS. It does run better but it's so quiet... I don't know much bout exhausts, but I want to know if I replaced the 2 mufflers with hotdogs, should the hotdogs be in the middle where the mufflers were, then go 2 pipes into 1 with a single muffler at the tailpipe or run the pipe straight through and have the hotdogs further down. I want it to have the sound it's got and run as nice, but I wanna hear it much louder than it is. Like a V8 should be...

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
By the time you go buying mufflers and having someone weld them in and muck about, you could buy a cheapo x-force system and be done with it.

Aussie XB12SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 & VU SS Fifty
By the time you go buying mufflers and having someone weld them in and muck about, you could buy a cheapo x-force system and be done with it.

Yep I know from experience & my missus reminding me..................
Had a custom twin system put on mine with hi flow cats, hi flow mufflers & talked into hotdogs in place of the rear resonators. Ended up going to another shop to have the hot dogs taken off as I couldn't sneak around town.
Get fined once for noise & you never forget.

Not sure if this link will work but it's mine before I took the hotdogs off.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vu-ss-fifty.256140/page-4#post-2900527

Last edited:
H

harrop.senator

Resonators and hotdogs are same thing...

Two 12" hotties and a decent non completely straight through muffler should be adequate.

But two mufflers in the middle and a single hotdog at the rear will be quieter but note may be nicer theirs fair few arguments that placing the resonator at the end of the pipe does more then in the middle. Never tried it back to back on cars to know.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Is the Maloo exhaust you fitted a factory exhaust or aftermarket system.
For just an increase in noise I'd replace the 2 factory centre mufflers with hotdogs and leave the rear muffler in place.
Will be a reasonably cheap modification to do and it should have the desired effect you are after

Blaizen82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7 LS1 Gen 3
Is the Maloo exhaust you fitted a factory exhaust or aftermarket system.
For just an increase in noise I'd replace the 2 factory centre mufflers with hotdogs and leave the rear muffler in place.
Will be a reasonably cheap modification to do and it should have the desired effect you are after
Thankyou! That's exactly wat I needed to know! Awsome! Thanks heaps, yea I'll keep the single rear muffler n swap out the two centre mufflers! And that won't effect the performance? Just increase the sound right? Cheers bro.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
You will get an increase in sound by just replacing the standard centre mufflers with hotdogs.
And a bit more increase in noise again if you replaced the standard rear muffler with a more free flowing one if it isn't loud enough for you.
But definitely keep a rear muffler on it, without one it will be too loud and cop bait for a defect notice.
Doing this won't hurt the performance of the car, if anything you may feel a slight increase in performance from removing the restrictive standard centre mufflers.
People often say it's a placebo effect "because you can actually hear the exhaust now & it feels like it goes harder". But at the end of the day who cares, it's your car and if you are happy with the outcome that's all that should matter.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Here are a couple of pics of my Manta 2 1/2" stainless twin system on my VZ 1 Tonner.
Dual hotdogs in the centre and a free flowing rear muffler.

DSCN0636 (2).JPG
DSCN0627 (2).JPG

Blaizen82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7 LS1 Gen 3
You will get an increase in sound by just replacing the standard centre mufflers with hotdogs.
And a bit more increase in noise again if you replaced the standard rear muffler with a more free flowing one if it isn't loud enough for you.
But definitely keep a rear muffler on it, without one it will be too loud and cop bait for a defect notice.
Doing this won't hurt the performance of the car, if anything you may feel a slight increase in performance from removing the restrictive standard centre mufflers.
People often say it's a placebo effect "because you can actually hear the exhaust now & it feels like it goes harder". But at the end of the day who cares, it's your car and if you are happy with the outcome that's all that should matter.
Awsome! Thanks heaps... yea I don't want it stupid loud... just exactly how u said... that's perfect! Ur a bloody champion! Thankyou