Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buick and Ecotec V6 Performance Upgrades

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Well that's pathetic profiteering.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Corvette servo is a good idea for the $30 it'll set you back. You need to drive them a little differently though. The hard change into second at wot was enough to make the rear end of mine step out on a damp (not wet) day with the standard ecotec- a bit scary at 65kmph when you're not used to that. Much nicer drop down into second gear too for overtaking etc.

Just IMO, I wouldn't bother with a converter change. Very expensive for very little gain - and the buicks are very strong off the bottom as immortality suggested but don't have a whole heap of top end. You want to take advantage of that bottom end torque so I feel a standard converter won't make a difference over the 1/4 for a stock engine.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
30 bucks, that is a bargain. I should probably get one before it gets serviced in another 7 or 8 weeks and have him slip in in while the pan is off.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
30 bucks, that is a bargain. I should probably get one before it gets serviced in another 7 or 8 weeks and have him slip in in while the pan is off.
Don't need to take the pan off for the corvette servo. It's on the drivers side, just above the pan and takes about 10 minutes to change over.

Pan removal is required for boost valve swap.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Type it in to the eBay search and it comes up, Corvette 4L60E servo.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SET-OF-...=item5d70bb872e:g:0j0AAOSwQcJaCp1o:rk:25:pf:0

What are people's thoughts on these, Mace coils? Would they be as good as MSD? I know the improvements would be marginal, but over the next 6 months I would like to perform another 3 or 4 upgrades and some of those will only make a tiny difference, but all together I should see some gains over stock.
At the present I am developing a list of upgrades, AKA wish-list and getting them as I can afford it.

Edit, another question about these coils. Is it wise to upgrade the DFI at the same time? I will probably change plugs as I reckon my Bosch Platinums will be getting close to 35k by the time I fit new coils.

Last edited:

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SET-OF-...=item5d70bb872e:g:0j0AAOSwQcJaCp1o:rk:25:pf:0

What are people's thoughts on these, Mace coils? Would they be as good as MSD? I know the improvements would be marginal, but over the next 6 months I would like to perform another 3 or 4 upgrades and some of those will only make a tiny difference, but all together I should see some gains over stock.
At the present I am developing a list of upgrades, AK wish-list and getting them as I can afford it.
has mace ever sold a bad product and there is some reviews on his site losh
https://www.maceengineering.com.au/epages/shop.sf/en_AU/?
ObjectPath=/Shops/mace/Products/IG602&ViewAction=ViewProductRating
and i know oem delphi are preferred over msd but someone got to take the plunge and give them a go
that link doesnt work copy and paste but all the reviews were positive any way