Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

leaking rear main

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Anyone had any success with this gear https://www.ebay.com.au/i/332794964780?chn=ps ?

I have a leaking RM and it's not a job I would try to fix myself. Not even sure if replacing the seal would even fix the issue. I know if it was a V8 it can end up leaking worse if you fit a new seal. From what I know with other cars you normally wouldn't replace the RM as it is rarely successful, hence I was wondering about the Nulon gear?

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
You can be the guinea pig mine is leaking as well...I tend to find disappointment rather than surprise with this type of thing :D

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I'm not sure whether to bother. If it one of those oil thickeners then never again, they are hopeless. I ask because my trans tech uses Wynns auto trans treatment and has had good results. He put Wynns in two of our transmissions and has done no damage. If it softens seals I would consider it, if it is a thickener then it won't be a good idea. I use 20w / 50 as it is.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The one I linked I wouldn't use. I realise now it sounds like an oil thickener. I have checked the WWW and it does look like some are more the consistency of trans oil. Some seem to have an additive that soften and swell the seal. However it would seem some products have too much of the swelling agent and can cause over-swelling on seals that are not worn. Although not sure if that is BS because I really didn't think the Buick had too many rubber seals as such?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
To me, any stuff you put in is a stop gap....the only real fix is replace the seal

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That's it VC and in reality unless you go full rebuild chances of a new seal taking and not leaking again, once replaced is 50/50 at best.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
In reality it's not leaking enough to take the chance and replace the seal given the amount of work needed to undertake the job, with it most likely to leak again soon afterwards. It's more of an annoyance than anything. I just don't like oil on the outside of the engine. Hence I'd like to have the sump gasket replaced with sealant at some point as that is weeping also. But again 4-5hrs labour at the mech's.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
That's it VC and in reality unless you go full rebuild chances of a new seal taking and not leaking again, once replaced is 50/50 at best.

If the replacement is done properly, it won't leak....I've done a crud load at home, without re-building the engine and they haven't leaked since....The last one was in my VC....Had to replace the gearbox, so out with the motor, removed the bearing cap, replaced the rear main and put it back together....Wolla, no leak or rattle from there....Only oil leak I have is from the rear side plate gasket....Just been lazy and haven't fixed it yet

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It's not something I feel I could get right for sure. I have never tried because I have always read neg results from those who have attempted it on the same various cars I have owned. Advice has always been if it aint bad then leave it. How successful have you found it to be on the Buick V6? I have read a lot about most mech's unwilling to even undertake a RM replacement on the VR and VS V8. I know it's just a matter of dropping the trans and flex plate, lever the old one out and drive the new one in. But I don't want to chance it and not get it in straight or foul it. I guess I could ask the mech how many hours he thinks to replace it.

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
That’s because the Holden v8’s need the crank removed to do the job properly which is an engine out deal. It can be done in the car but probably takes more time and is more difficult than removing the engine anyway.

The v6 is easy in comparison. It’s just a seal plate. You can get alignment tools but I’ve just centred them by eye with a good set of vernier calipers and they’re fine. If you just bolt the rear cover up without trying to align it properly you’ll have trouble.