Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Zb commorde haters

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
There are several ZB owners here, including a bloke who owns a RS-V wagon whom I believe has an entire thread devoted to his car.

Tezza's ZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Sedan 4 cylinder 2 Litre Petrol Turbo
A comparison of Commodores and women……
VB > VL …… Elle Macpherson. Getting on a bit but still looks good.
VN > VS …… Nicole Kidman. Fragile but scrubs up OK, despite age.
VT > VZ …… Jennifer Hawkins. Great shape, with no scandal or controversies.
VE > VF ……. Kate Campbell. Big, loud, sporty, no nonsense or frills.
ZB …… Sharon (from Kath and Kim.)

As the curtain comes down on Holden, and in particular the Commodore,
I am asserting, supported by none other than Will Hagen too on the day of the announcement of Holden’s demise, that the ZB Commodore, a largely forgotten car, will go down in history as being a truly a great car, the car I own, the 4 cyl 2 litre petrol turbo indeed being the great ZB, the goldilocks car (just right).
Go and buy it now. I saw a Demo with 12/klms on it for $28000. It’s a wonderful gift at that price.
If you still have doubts, please don’t accept what I say, even though I own and love my car, please read the detailed article about the 4 cyl 2 litre petrol turbo. This is a very convincing article
Go and test drive, you’ll be astounded.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/2018-holden-zb-commodore-20t-review

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
I owned Australian built v8 commorde all my adult life from VB TO VF SERIES 2 ssv redline and now I own the new zb vxr COMMORDE it is a fantastic car I admit I was a little sceptical at first buying a European commorde but I’m very happy it and I’m a old school die hard Commodore fanatic a true traditionalist, we all know it should not have been called a commorde everyone should be looking at it as a new European car not HOLDEN and I bet all the knockers and whingers (it not a commorde it’s **** )would not have driven one Or have never been inside one let alone drive one get over yourselfs All the reviews I’ve seen are correct it is a fantastic car

To be fair, the ZB is a cracker of a car. It's appropriate for the times that it's in (albeit with no Hybrid option it's slightly dated, but GM's always been a little bit behind the curve...), and compared to the Camry and Mazda 6, i'd argue that in some ways it's better. You get more kit for your dollar, and the option of a performance model with the AWD V6 variant.

What commodore fans really don't like is the fact that it's a FWD, 4cyl econobox at base, with no V8 RWD option. Now, That's not to say that Holden fans have been pissed off before. You could imagine the rage back in the days of the VB when it was first released.

"A German based saloon car? In Australia? Sod that. Imma keep my HQ Murrrrr"

In fact, that was the reason why the WB stuck around well after the start of the commodore's sales, 'specially for utes.

But the ZB Seems to strike a nerve with your die-hard, dino-juice guzzling petrolheads. In reality, it's actually a pretty solid car. I've always thought the idea of an AWD performance commodore would be pretty awesome. Hell, we had one in the form of the GTO Coupe4. But "Commodore" means a different thing to the crowd these days. It's no longer a german based medium sized saloon car, it's a dinky-di, you-beaut, V8 RWD Aussie Muscle car... Which the new one isn't.

If they called it the Insignia? Yeah, I think it'd do well... But Holden made that move trying to appease the Aussie Market, instead creating a disingenuous pastiche of an Australian built car. That's what pissed off so many people. It's a great car. But not a great Commodore.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
As the curtain comes down on Holden, and in particular the Commodore,
I am asserting, supported by none other than Will Hagen too on the day of the announcement of Holden’s demise, that the ZB Commodore, a largely forgotten car, will go down in history as being a truly a great car, the car I own, the 4 cyl 2 litre petrol turbo indeed being the great ZB, the goldilocks car (just right).
Go and buy it now. I saw a Demo with 12/klms on it for $28000. It’s a wonderful gift at that price.
If you still have doubts, please don’t accept what I say, even though I own and love my car, please read the detailed article about the 4 cyl 2 litre petrol turbo. This is a very convincing article
Go and test drive, you’ll be astounded.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/2018-holden-zb-commodore-20t-review

I can confirm what Tezza says and that review is dead accurate based on my 7 weeks driving an LT 2.0.

In terms of kit and equipment the LT is too poverty pack for me but it does the basics of performance, ride, handling and braking extremly well indeed.
It has a lightness and nimbleness that's missing in the V6 models which weigh ~ 190 kg's more. Some would say the LT is driving enjoyment distilled down to its true core essence without the unnecessary tech fluff and I'd agree 100% with that. For the money they want for an LT, its a true bargain which will give a lot of joy. Just warm the engine and turbo up for a few minutes with moderate driving and then give it heaps and enjoy...you won't be able to get the smile off your face.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
@rptmpg

I was around to see the intro of the VB. It wasn't the huge disappointment you suggested, though the HZ and UC continued for some months after its intro. This was more as insurance for Holden in case the VB failed and the WB's were brought in because the VB was too small and lightweight for commercial duties and too small for a luxo model. The VB succeeded despite its origins and smaller size, partly because of fuel costs, which absolutely took off from 1978, but also because it was better equipped, drove better and looked European modern against the HZ, which was getting long in the tooth and was still very basic.
At the time, I had an HT Premier with a 327 and 4 speed. I had upgraded it to approach the safety standards of the HZ, a car 8 years newer. Then the VB appeared. The base model didn't appeal, the SL was nice, but the SL/E was something special. You had to remind yourself this was a Holden and the road tests of the time were glowing in all respects except the old red motors.

Tezza's ZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
Totally agree with you. Should have named it something else but the car itself is a good car.

You just need to be able to separate the car from the name.
People who won’t budge from that, have never driven the ZB. How much plainer can I get than: I own the 4 cyl ZB, I should know something, I love it as other ZB owners do too!
The badge has nothing whatever to do with ‘ what’s the widget like, what do they say about it?

Tezza's ZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
I can confirm what Tezza says and that review is dead accurate based on my 7 weeks driving an LT 2.0.

In terms of kit and equipment the LT is too poverty pack for me but it does the basics of performance, ride, handling and braking extremly well indeed.
It has a lightness and nimbleness that's missing in the V6 models which weigh ~ 190 kg's more. Some would say the LT is driving enjoyment distilled down to its true core essence without the unnecessary tech fluff and I'd agree 100% with that. For the money they want for an LT, its a true bargain which will give a lot of joy. Just warm the engine and turbo up for a few minutes with moderate driving and then give it heaps and enjoy...you won't be able to get the smile off your face.
Exactly, exactly, and... finally. I am getting through not just because of my stubborn, unrelenting praise, it is a great car, and you might get a demo with 5000 clicks for $24000 . The LT is not short on extras... my grandfather would be in awe of the 4 cyl.

Tezza's ZB

Reaction score
Members Ride

You’ve nearly got it ... except re your comment it’s a poverty pack.. it’s no poverty pack at all. Remote starting, what a great extra and true surprise, crash awareness warning, line keeping warning, sensors front and back, excellent infotainment, camera, Australian Holden engineering retuning of the highest order, actually astounding, which most people know nothing about, brilliant electric seat adjustment for driver, equal to any. As I have said and said, it’s the goldilocks package you get with near perfect saloon driving.. truly gentle loping of 1400 revs at 112 kph..yet scintillating overtaking acceleration to boot...breathtaking stuff for $24000 demo. OMG!!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Just out of curiosity, how does that 4 cylinder go with a trailer on the back with 1/2m³ of builders mix (gross over a ton of extra weight)?

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
You’ve nearly got it ... except re your comment it’s a poverty pack.. it’s no poverty pack at all. Remote starting, what a great extra and true surprise, crash awareness warning, line keeping warning, sensors front and back, excellent infotainment, camera, Australian Holden engineering retuning of the highest order, actually astounding, which most people know nothing about, brilliant electric seat adjustment for driver, equal to any. As I have said and said, it’s the goldilocks package you get with near perfect saloon driving.. truly gentle loping of 1400 revs at 112 kph..yet scintillating overtaking acceleration to boot...breathtaking stuff for $24000 demo. OMG!!
Lot of car for the money and a very good one.
Lot more kit for those that want to pay the extra for a Calais V or VXR but even I would say its a lot of extra money for the extra kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.