Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hi Losh. Sorry I haven’t tried to help you a bit sooner :)
I have attached some extracts from
the factory VR manuals.

The TPS is just a potentiometer between GND and 5V. ( 5V reference supplied by the PCM)
You should be able to backprobe
the BLU wire at the TPS plug and slowly open and close the throttle to watch the output voltage . According
to the manual it should NEVER go to
5V. If it does a fault code is logged.
Possibly a sudden application of WOT
is causing it to overshoot because of any slop in the mechanism.
Also could be the 5V reference from
the PCM occasionally drifts high.
Hope this helps.

Good info.

The TB shouldn't be able to overshoot full open as there is a hard stop built into the mechanism. It was actually an issue with the early V6 TB's that the butterfly didn't reach full open because of the way the stop was cast into the side of the TB.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hard to know because although the engine is similar the electronic parts don't match the engine I need. Very hard to figure out what US car used the same engine as mine.

1609745093868.png

two-bit

old enough to mang better
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S series II
when ordering parts from usa of even europe for the old girls find the gm part number off the part that you need, and then search for that part number, gm cars are parts bins cars one sensor will probably fit 40 different models globally.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Part numbers on parts not always right

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Would Holden still have a part number listed for it?

Good thinking there, the US AC Delco and GM websites have lots of freely available info. Would make a Holden parts interpreters job much easier and quicker if we had access to similar in Australia.

I would find it extra ordinary if it was only Holden Australia using a specific sensor for them only rather than dipping into the global GM parts bin.

What about searching for other models that the Delphi TPS fits?

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
why waste time on changing/bagging sensors if the car has a wiring issue ??, any sensor replaced will get damaged sooner than later if the wiring is playing up especially when a car has had dfi and coil explode, and fingers crossed hopefully it didn't affect the power module.

Also the car history has had dodgy things chopped/altered before car was bought and losh has also fiddled with mutiple wiring issues and changes, thank god things are not worse.

It just might be time to bite the bullet and see a proper car sparky and get the issue diagnosed properly and fixed and pay $, surely it would be cheaper in the end, less stress, less flatbeds, less buying multiple sensors and less touching things that could make things worse.

Maybe it could be a simple EFI relay playing up as its incorporated with sensors like cas/tps etc, who knows, its a simple thing to check.

Also not having a dig at @losh just expressing some obvious thoughts especially when you come to a dead end and can't fix it yourself, its time to stop worrying and see a qualified sparky.