Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If l remember correctly, he has the v8 5 Litre throttle body on?
If it's not modified than it's exactly the same as the V6 TB other than it's 5mm bigger internally.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Sure is. It's a bolt on swap

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Had the 80mm(?) V8 throttle body on my VP with no issues.

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
Hi Losh, Looking at the manual again there is a “sensor drive adapter” between the butterfly drive shaft and the TPS. This looks like it may take up any freeplay , slop , mismatch between those.
Do you have one of those in place?
Possibly not all models have that.
If it should be there and is missing it could explain the erratic behaviour.

Attachments

• 278A01B6-35B9-4534-8E83-EC212E63DF78.jpeg
    278A01B6-35B9-4534-8E83-EC212E63DF78.jpeg
    210.5 KB · Views: 80

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah it's there

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just on case people missed my post the TPS is working now. I put on a no name SH unit and I have all shifting functions including full kickdown at WOT and no CEL.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It just might be time to bite the bullet and see a proper car sparky and get the issue diagnosed properly and fixed and pay $, surely it would be cheaper in the end, less stress, less flatbeds, less buying multiple sensors and less touching things that could make things worse.
Not sure how good the auto electricians are near you but every time I have used one they are not God of car electricals. They know more than the average garage sure, on electrical gremlins but diagnosing intermittent issues is not an easy task even for someone with such skills. If it's a common issue they can sort it but when the problem comes and goes there is not magic tool that you run over the entire car that tells you every problem there is...... Yep the old ute has had some dodgy work done by PO's and I am getting to the stage where I have fixed most of the botched up work.
As mentioned, I am planning on taking the ute to an auto electrician as I want to see if they can just replace some of the lead cables, which have frayed near the plugs. I have had auto electricians do similar repairs to this in the past, with success. I'm just not sure if the shop near work is happy to do that, or if they will tell me they have to build a whole new harness at a hugely expensive cost. If not I have another bloke who did some decent work for me before, just not close to work.
However, this is not something I can get done in the next couple of months, I have major dental over the next three months and a shed sitting on the ground that needs to go up, before it gets damaged. But unfortunately the old ute cost me 17hrs more labour just before Christmas than the bloke said he would take, it was supposed to take six..... So it has placed me in a pickle and now I have to pay at least another $250 this week getting the ute running.
It is on the list of places to take the ute to, but it's unlikely going to get there before the middle of the year now as I have too much going out over the next few months. Chuck on top of that a bill at the auto electrician's that can't be quoted is not something I can do right now but it will get there eventually..... Worst case scenario is I catch the bus if the ute breaks down again..

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Plenty of US vehicle models listed here and info on what Holden used.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine

Ahhh I thought I had struck gold.... It looks like the US use fair bit different electrical systems, the 91-93 Bonneville which has a similar manifold to the VR Buick, when I was looking at trying to make an M62 fit, has a lot of different sensors. They have a MAF, the TPS is totally different, they even have an EGR. I think it's easier to just by locally and replace as frequently as necessary.... I do have a mate who has bought me some gen parts at a decent price I might see if he can see if he can get me a price on a TPS if it's still available.