Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold start rattle on LS3 - piston slap :) Engine replaced

Brissyguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Caprice
Grave misgivings about what the dealerships are allowed to share... Holden Customer Service are only there these days to help the dealerships avoid costs...
Ive driven Holden’s all my life but I’ll never buy another one after this blank refusal to admit there is a fault here.. especially with their flagship engines

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Grave misgivings about what the dealerships are allowed to share... Holden Customer Service are only there these days to help the dealerships avoid costs...
Ive driven Holden’s all my life but I’ll never buy another one after this blank refusal to admit there is a fault here.. especially with their flagship engines
Yes my Caprice V with the L77 6.0 ltr in it only has a very slight piston slap on the coldest winter days (close to Bribie Island )and only at 7am- 8am in the morning otherwise I can leave the car off for two weeks then start it and its 100%. No issues with this at any other months

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Dont need to buy one because they are gone not unless you buy a new VF SSV Redline at the auction now LOL.

Brissyguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Caprice
Yes my Caprice V with the L77 6.0 ltr in it only has a very slight piston slap on the coldest winter days (close to Bribie Island )and only at 7am- 8am in the morning otherwise I can leave the car off for two weeks then start it and its 100%. No issues with this at any other months
I have had several 5.7L and 3 x 6.0L engines in various cars, but this 6.2 is the only one with the issue..

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
Seems the slap is varied, I’ve had an LS1; L98, L76, L77 and an LS3, only the L77 slaps when it’s cold , once warmed up all good.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I have a quiet L77, a quiet LS3, and a slappy LS3. The noise varies depending on the outside air temp.

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
To those engineering types out there. Would the higher cylinder pressures with a supercharger add to the slap ?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
whats everyone complaining about :rolleyes: my new build i can see my ring end gap in the piston/bore clearance i needed :oops: ill let u know if i get any slap once its finished

133129954-3595122673888857-1154257589797940104-obb.jpg

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
To those engineering types out there. Would the higher cylinder pressures with a supercharger add to the slap ?
Monster? answered that question a while ago (in another thread I think). His engine build had heaps of bore clearance and he said it was quiet as because the underlying issue according to him was the tune...

As for standard Holden engine, oval bores are simple very poor quality control as oval implies uneven cylinder wall wear and pistons wobbling as they move and change direction, just ask Ron :p

A large bore clearance on a build doesn’t imply the cylinders aren’t round with parallel sides all lined up with each other on each bank and the crank centre line and well behaving pistons :D

Last edited: