Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS Police Pack

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The highway patrol drove some quick variants of Holden, Ford & Valiant over the years and some with minor HSV engine upgrades (HSV Enhanced) but as far as I know they were in stock tune and that's really all they needed to catch up to most cars on the road.

Two VR SS' in the mid '90s couldn't catch my LX Torana during a high speed pursuit out in Western Sydney after it was stolen, the LX easily ran away from them.

The highway patrol cars aren't meant to match up against tuned and modified vehicles.

The poor driving skills of the thieves on the day is the reason I got my LX back, they collided with a number of cars stopped at a set of traffic lights and escaped on foot.

From what I was told, when the coppers used the Valiants as cop cars, they were "test mules" for parts....Once they were ready to be sold to the general public, those parts were removed and general parts were put back in....

IMA back then with the Valiants, a 6 pack would leave a cop car sitting, but for the general run of the mill Holden/Ford/Valiant, it was a little harder to outrun a cop car, especially the 6's around town

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
Yeah, I know . . . . I must be REALLY old!

Back in the 70s the cops here had GTR Toranas, but I know they had X-U1 engines.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

Back in the 70s the cops here had GTR Toranas, but I know they had X-U1 engines.
And Mini Cooper S's.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
When I lived at Ryde in Sydney the highway patrol there had an VE SS Ute in 'Poison Ivy' for a couple of years that looked like my Ute at the time, except I was a bit lower with a set of rims and I became very aware of the way other drivers would change their driving habits when they saw my Ute coming along.
Thinking of funny cop stories, I gave my old HQ Monaro a squirt on the freeway in 1979 and looked in the mirror to see a blue flashing light. Running on 10 demerit points I'm thinking "hell, that's it I'll blow my licence" and started to slow down to pull over. I'd just about stopped and the car with the blue flashing light thundered past me. It was an HR Holden with a bloke hanging out of the passenger's window with a yellow Dolphin torch with blue cellophane over the front switching it on and off, true story!!! "That was my lucky night".

The VN ex-cop car I had was Genesis Blue, a common unmarked car colour in the day and they'd spot the pursuit wheels and antenna and sh*t themselves if they were doing something silly. I'd shoot up behind them and watch them looking in the mirror waiting for blue light to go up, when the cops had the magnetic blue flashing light they'd throw on the roof.

Speaking of modified cop cars, I was held up in traffic from a prang years ago and there was a VK unmarked cop car idling on the side of the road. It was lumpy, louder than stock and had 2.5" single exhaust outlet and there was rumour of a couple of VK's with Group A Brock engines. VK Group A's had 2.5" exhaust (pretty big pipe in the day) and Crane 286 cam and could have been one. It was a manual and I could see the gear lever with passengers door open and most VK cop cars were auto.

Last edited:

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Speaking of modified cop cars, I was held up in traffic from a prang years ago and there was a VK unmarked cop car idling on the side of the road. It was lumpy, louder than stock and had 2.5" single exhaust outlet and there was rumour of a couple of VK's with Group A Brock engines. VK Group A's had 2.5" exhaust (pretty big pipe in the day) and Crane 286 cam and could have been one. It was a manual and I could see the gear lever with passengers door open and most VK cop cars were auto.

I read on some police car facebook page that the NSW manual VK cop cars had the full Brock spec (SS/GRP 3) engines. These were mainly country cars, not city . The auto's were bog standard.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
You’re obviously made of strong stuff mate. I wish you all the best for a healthier future. Well done on pulling through and being able to continue your car enthusiasm :)
Of topic but here goes to explain what a stroke can effect you.
Yes I've lucky because 3 strokes effected my speech and grammar and spelling and two of them effect my walking, Swalling (cant speel Should be Spell it) and , and extremely poor short term memory + grammar
Now the above took me 15 minute to type, for you it will take 30 seconds
Before I correct it it will look like this
yse ive luiky befcase 3 strojs effect my speach and ganmma and spealing and two of them eddecred my walikung and extreamely poor memery.
Yes the about (Eg should be ABOVE NOT ABOUT) is what my brain tell me to type so I have to go through all words one by one to correct them. No Tools can help me as any programs wont recognize my voice.
Simple to tell you what is happen.
THINK OF THE WORD MONARO.
My Brain thinks MONARO and spells it in my head so my fingers type M O N A R O but when I look at the monitor I see NOMERAS. YES Think of letter M and my fingers presses N.
How would you like to be like this and in the afternoon Its worst but at the same time I have excelled on other like hex values. The brain is a marvelous part of you body.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1

(The Below is lie)
Yes you are correct. Now in 1996 to 7 they had the VL Turbos and a few of them was modified to have extra go. Yes I know this as someone had the task to modify them. Funny thing is the NSW Police had a day at Oran Park to show the Cops Brass that there the NEW VN Commodore with the 3.8ltr in it was faster than the VL Turbo and they the brass got a shock as the VL Turbo was extremely fast, Modded By .someone... yet the brass did not know this and shi.t over the VN.
We found later that Holden and the Brass of the Police fudged the VN by having a LSD where normal VN 6 did not have it and the same with the VL Turbo.
After this the NSW Highway Protrol got VN V8's not V6's The V6's were only general duty cars or "D" Car.
Now if anyone was in the NSW Police those days they will remember the 9 inch sticker and it said "V6 We Hate It"
This was all to show the NSW Government that the V6 was no good for a pursuit car

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
VK Group A's had 2.5" exhaust (pretty big pipe in the day) and Crane 286 cam and could have been one.

They were closer to Crane 276. The 286 needs decent comp and the street Group As mustered only about 8.8.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I read on some police car facebook page that the NSW manual VK cop cars had the full Brock spec (SS/GRP 3) engines. These were mainly country cars, not city . The auto's were bog standard.
Yes, it was a pretty strong rumour at the time and when spotting the "big exhaust", hearing the lopey idle and seeing it was manual, the rumour was likely true. This was a white unmarked VK I saw.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
They were closer to Crane 276. The 286 needs decent comp and the street Group As mustered only about 8.8.
There was a couple of variations and there were also VK Group A/Group 3's and a performance pack. Some had a Wade 242 cam, a Crane 276 and the big horsepower option had the Crane 286. The roller rockers varied between Crane and Yella Terra and the modified engines came crashing down in VL with unleaded fuel and cat introduction. Joe who had the Brock Shop in QLD worked for HDT in that era building engines and he told me about their engine programs when we raced cars with him in the mid 2000's. They had a play with offset grind (331ci) strokers too apparently. Larry Perkins was responsible for the engine development and modification programs at the time.