Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EVs - What are you doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tezza's ZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Sedan 4 cylinder 2 Litre Petrol Turbo
As time marches on, and ICE cars are going to slip away from the radar a bit, like everything including ourselves, I just wondered what people are going to do in relation to a potential EV purchase.

For example only, whether you will retain your beloved Commodore, and supplement your inventory with an EV, and if so, which ones attract… A small car for the shorter trips or something bigger etc.

I live in NE country Vic and a round trip might be 80 -100k if I go to the regional metropolis from where I live, or would you trade in or sell. And budget is a big deal too. For example, I just can’t spend spend 85 k on a Tesla Model 3, as it puts a dint in funds availability. I see that the NZ Government is offering $8000 rebate for an EV purchase, perhaps a little more for a more expensive car.

Ill get the ball rolling, and for the moment I’ll park my thinking on my beloved, ZB LT 4 cyl, 2 Litre Petrol Turbo, well a bit.

I have done a fair bit of research, and the Chinese brand BYD , is beginning to take the world by storm. Warren Buffet is said to have invested billions in BYD. It’s no fly by night company at all, and already the entrenched world supplier of buses and their batteries. That’s a very brief summary, but I do believe that BYD is a brand where it’s only problem, will be supply, not demand.

I am thinking of getting a smaller BYD, a Corolla sized car, the BYD EAN, Dolphin at this point, but its early days. BYD have recently announced 2 delays for the Dolphin, the first date for availability of the Dolphin was Nov 2021, that changed to Apr 2022, and it’s now pushed right out to late 2022. I believe some time in 2023 is probably more likely. All of my thoughts will naturally be to test drive the car etc etc

.This Dolphin might be 30-35k drive away in Aus, but the delay probably will change that. We can be confident though that a number of BYDs coming here will be excellent value for money. I do think the Dolphin will be the car of choice for many many Australians, yes ahead of many many other cars, including the GWN Ora, and the MG which is much more expensive and has received mixed reviews.,

I will likely keep my ZB, as it is still the goldilocks car I have raved about so much to you.

As EV sales crank up, the internet is going to have heaps of ICE cars for sale and imagine trying to sell one on the Internet, it’s so slow now anyway, and you’ll get peanuts too When EV take right off in the second half of 2022.

The savings in fuel from an EV purchase might take the hurt away from contemplating giving away your Commodore and selling it at a lousy price, and that means of course , that rego and running costs maybe the big issue, particularly if you are a 2 ICE car family.

We are going to enter a world of ICE cars glut that will be in due course be very hard to sell.

There is a lot to think about in this absolutely tumultuous period of the greatest paradigm change in motoring history.

BTW, I could say a lot more by BYD, but a common thought at high levels, is that BYD will be the Asian No 1 manufacturer, unseating the Japanese, a lot more can be said.

But what do you all think? Is it true that most of you are going to sit tight until there is more shaking out, and cheaper batteries etc etc etc or ?

Tezza and his ZB checking in

Last edited:

Tezza's ZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
Noone interested??? Yes it is not directly about Commodores but it's relevant because you may walk away from them or it in due course.
My dilemma is do I want another car when I have a good one now , and do I really want to pay another rego etc etc or should I wait to buy electric now or sit tight till battery prices come down ir if I wait will the ICE car really be hard to sell?.
There is a lot to think about and say.
I love cars, abd yes I could I guess put in a new kitchen for $35000, maybe more in the smallish 1866 cottage
Or has Tezza worn out his welcome?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Being involved in the mining industry, the company I work for is doing construction and maintenance on both the mine site and processing plant that the lithium comes from. When you see what is involved in the extraction and processing of lithium, you would not feel so comfortable driving your EV thinking that you are helping the environment. The fuel burn of one excavator in one hour is more than the average car would use in a week. 10 hour days, 7 days a week, times 4 excavators on this mine site. That equates to roughly 12,600 liters of diesel in one week. That's just excavators. There's numerous loaders, dozers and dump trucks, plus all the ancillary equipment as well. No DPF's either. The average diesel car would use maybe 18,000L of fuel in 20 years assuming an average of 30,000km per year. One excavator would use that in less than 6 weeks.

We are the largest producer and exporter of lithium in the world, production is only going to increase.

There are 4 mines in Australia.

Lithium dust from the mining and crushing process results in phytotoxicity in soil and reduced crop biomass. It also causes silicosis and lung cancer in the long term.

Tezza's ZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
Being involved in the mining industry, the company I work for is doing construction and maintenance on both the mine site and processing plant that the lithium comes from. When you see what is involved in the extraction and processing of lithium, you would not feel so comfortable driving your EV thinking that you are helping the environment. The fuel burn of one excavator in one hour is more than the average car would use in a week. 10 hour days, 7 days a week, times 4 excavators on this mine site. That equates to roughly 12,600 liters of diesel in one week. That's just excavators. There's numerous loaders, dozers and dump trucks, plus all the ancillary equipment as well. No DPF's either. The average diesel car would use maybe 18,000L of fuel in 20 years assuming an average of 30,000km per year. One excavator would use that in less than 6 weeks.

We are the largest producer and exporter of lithium in the world, production is only going to increase.

Lithium dust from the mining and crushing process results in phytotoxicity in soil and reduced crop biomass. It also causes silicosis and lung cancer in the long term.
Yehh that's not good, it's swept under the carpet. And fossil fuels for petrol are a bigger issue because there is so much of it contributing to warming the planet. I assume you agree what all the Academy of Sciences say about global warming. It’s substantially man made, and there are lots of causes. Fossil fuel burning is a major contributor, as is methane gas from cattle etc.But oil is unfairly maligned. I recall seeing a doco about the massive no of uses it has from cosmetics to lubrication, everything really . We just can't shut up shop with it overnight as the dislocation of employment loss must be avoided by planning on a massive scale to create new jobs. we need oil. LAnd to hear the term " zero emissions " is a lie. In electric cars there are metal to metal emissions using your brakes etc, or from the lubricants and other materials in cars.
I gather that you aren't interested in seeing the tumultuous turning of the industry upside down. It is a good story to follow. The electric cars are going to be taken up massively, thee is no doubt. You can't put your head in the sand about that.
It is said ,yes, BYD will become the 4th leading electric manufacturer in the world by 2030 or earlier, that's massive.
I gather too, it's obvious that most people in this forum are anti electric cars. But wherever you look the change is coming like a runaway road chain.
I adore my Commodore, my ZB LT 2 Litre Petrol Turbo, it's still a goldilocks car.. pace saloon touring magic, heaps of hp and torque. It's only done 25000k., still under warranty, so I can't let it go if I buy an electric, but don't you think that all the normal ICE cars even in a few years will be worth little anyway.
The switch to, the migration to, electric is going to be " gynormous" .
Yes industries using Lithium should pay for the damage to the environment, but the arguments are tenuous as industries using fossil fuels should too, and the substances in fuel making like benzine are cancerous.
I'm not popular in this forum because yes I have said great things about the Commodore ZB 4 cyl and yes I pushed the envelope big time about that and of course it's the truth. But people here say the ZB us not a Commodore. And of course, no matter their arguments, it is a Holden Commodore, the best Commodore made. Cars have components from all over the world, so badges mean little anyway. It's what is it like with all its components put together. The question is, what's the widget like?.

It is a shame we won't see an EV Commodore, it might have been good.

It's instructive that there is no interest here in EV, despite the mouth dropping change we are seeing in the industry
Perhaps there are a few members who have a lot of good things to say about electric cars, rather than saying nothing other than shunning me.

All I have done is talk about electric cars, and in particular, about BYD because Build Your Dreams is beginning to emerge as a mega producer of EVs in the world number 4 by or before 2030.
The issues of Lithium contamination, like many others will not feature in the coming years, it's blimp compared to imminent emergence of the most dangerous issue for mankind, a catastrophe that could occur at any time , and that's the real prospect of a major and perhaps imminent leakage of plutonium on the Marshall Islands. The lithium comments you make are a furphy, and a distraction, a pity to resort to that only in responding.

The lack of interest and disdain for me here is because it's about Terry. If someone else wrote it, there would be interest. That's not a concern to me . I just wrote about something of great interest in the motoring world right now, a conversation, and opinions too. Please do the same

Last edited:

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line

Add to that the amount of extra electricity needed to recharge all the EV's, And much more will be needed in the future.
Where's that electricity going to come from?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The lithium comments I make are very relevant. Unless they can come up with a battery that is more friendly to the environment, then lithium will continue to mined, and fuel will continue to be burned, and all the other satellite industries that are required to to keep an EV on the road will continue to pollute and contaminate.

You sound like you have an interest in BYD.

Tezza's ZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
Add to that the amount of extra electricity needed to recharge all the EV's, And much more will be needed in the future.
I created the thread, and mostly I talked about the rise of China as a manufacturer , and BYD in particular, so Im not talking about a subject that has lots of views.
we are running out of oil too. We are in ‘ peak oil’, so I can advance that argument too.

if you wrote a post , I’d respond to it, not go right off into areas where the info is scant now, AND IT IS ANOTHER TOPIC

i talked about what is happening .. the massive emergence of China in car manufacture and what are you going to buy in the future

The argument I presented in my first post, is that oil is invaluable, we need to conserve it for use not in petrol, but for everything else it’s used for, that argument is out there.its sickening to see powerful cars at a shite shite shite tiny track at Winton where no one hardly goes, for a pitiful look, it is pathetic, a perfect example of resource waste to top up a failing industry, with few followers, for nought.

Last edited:

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Nuclear power plants of course.
Oops, did I mention the war?

Tezza's ZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
I ha
The lithium comments I make are very relevant. Unless they can come up with a battery that is more friendly to the environment, then lithium will continue to mined, and fuel will continue to be burned, and all the other satellite industries that are required to to keep an EV on the road will continue to pollute and contaminate.

You sound like you have an interest in BYD.
i have no interest or shares .. Buffet has invested billions in BYD. Yehh I might buy one .. they are not here yet, but represent great value.. said by others .. There have been and are terrible consequences on the climate because of fossil fuels, you are not denying that I hope, so arguments about lithium v fossil fuels are complex to say the least .

I talked about massive change in industry and China emergence there , not this, it’s separate. What are the cars like etc

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.