Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Deuce's new daily - 1970 series2a LWB

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Yeah 5mm to 6.5 ( 1/4 ) clamp either side or at least every few spots.
Definitely should get a couple of scrap bits to practice on first want hot but not to the point you blow through the solid side . If wire feed is a bit too quick you'll end up with lots of little mole hills to grind back but this is way better than having it too cold and then not a good weld/hold/adhesion get a few of them together and your joints going to have no strength.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Spot welds came out alright.
Now to start prepping for painting.
IMG_20210930_215938.jpg
IMG_20210930_220009.jpg
IMG_20210930_220031.jpg

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Radiator overflow bottle mounted and bracket all painted up.
1633321579684.jpg

I decided on this spot because it was close enough to original spot that stock length hose should work, and easy access with bonnet up and reasonable clearance from alternator and intake tube (which I am yet to purchase and fit)

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Who says you cannot use a house paint brush to prime automotive panels?
1633481773742.jpg

1633481744413.jpg

Debeer 8-145 high solid.
Unthinned 1st coat
Some thinners 2nd coat,
And quite thin for a finishing touch up 'surfacer' type coat where required.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Who says you cannot use a house paint brush to prime automotive panels?
View attachment 227792
View attachment 227793

Debeer 8-145 high solid.
Unthinned 1st coat
Some thinners 2nd coat,
And quite thin for a finishing touch up 'surfacer' type coat where required.

An ex-father in law used to use a paint brush to paint his cars....He'd heat the paint so you wouldn't see the brush strokes...Unfortunately I can't find out any more of his tricks as he passed away many years ago...

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
An ex-father in law used to use a paint brush to paint his cars....He'd heat the paint so you wouldn't see the brush strokes...Unfortunately I can't find out any more of his tricks as he passed away many years ago...
Sorry for your loss mate.
Yeap, some good tricks out there to make life easier if you are not a pro shop doing decent repairs.
I worked at a shop once where they would use a small roller for primer and it came up really good (when done right). It saved alot of time / resources compared to normal masking.

It'll be interesting to see how much build I got when I start sanding it all down.
Did a single coat on a few minor items as well. More as a sealant so paint adheres better if anything.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Debeer 8-145 high solid.
I used Debeer 2k solid on the old ute and man that was nice paint to apply according to my father in law. He said it went on easy and the finish was prime. I still have 3/4 of a litre in the shed that I will probably never use. The other good thing is it is extremely close to GM Alaskan. I couldn't notice the difference on the ute, whereas panel beater painted my bumperettes and they were a lot whiter than original Alaskan.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Sorry for your loss mate.
Yeap, some good tricks out there to make life easier if you are not a pro shop doing decent repairs.
I worked at a shop once where they would use a small roller for primer and it came up really good (when done right). It saved alot of time / resources compared to normal masking.

It'll be interesting to see how much build I got when I start sanding it all down.
Did a single coat on a few minor items as well. More as a sealant so paint adheres better if anything.

All fine over the loss....He passed away about 5 years ago, so the grieving process is over....That being said, he did teach me a heap and there is a heap I'm sure he could have taught me, but didn't....:)