Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Deuce's new daily - 1970 series2a LWB

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I used Debeer 2k solid on the old ute and man that was nice paint to apply according to my father in law. He said it went on easy and the finish was prime. I still have 3/4 of a litre in the shed that I will probably never use. The other good thing is it is extremely close to GM Alaskan. I couldn't notice the difference on the ute, whereas panel beater painted my bumperettes and they were a lot whiter than original Alaskan.
Can't remember what white my commo is (maybe Alaskan). But it yellows off over time and can clean up noticably with a good buff.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
1634201382703.jpg

All rubbed down. 1k on the rub throughs.
Other panels are ready too.
And the garage ceiling has been plastic lined ready for it's conversion into a temporary spray booth.

Picked up half a liter of extra color today Incase I run out.

Now just to pick a good day and do it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I find here any painting you need to have a heater blowing warm air or it gets bubbles. I did some painting of scratches on the VE last weekend and I had heat gun in one hand and blowing the paint on with the other, with the heat gun moving along as I panted each section.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
So this week I riveted the painted c brackets to the radiator panel (they support the lower edge of the grill). Then fitted to the firewall the clutch pedal delete panel that got painted.
IMG_20211021_132024.jpg

And then tried a half dozen bolts in the front chassis hole before shining a light down it and running a pick over inside surface to realise that there was no thread. Possibly a previous chassis repair meant it was a clean hole? Maybe?
So ran a 12-24 UNC tap through the hole and then went to the engineering shop for bolts only to find it's the unusual size that they don't carry. So thought about going M6 and got bolts/washers. Then thought more and drilled 5.5mm and tapped to 1/4unf which means it matches the rear mounting bolts for front valance panel. Used new washers and bolts I already had.
IMG_20211021_131641.jpg
IMG_20211021_131658.jpg

Next up is fitting the radiator and horns and everything else on that front edge.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I painted my very first car with a paint brush, and I think I used house paint!!!
I changed it from what the photo shows, to some God awful red brick colour with a black flash down the sides. In fact I think I actually used a red brick paint!

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I changed it from what the photo shows, to some God awful red brick colour with a black flash down the sides. In fact I think I actually used a red brick paint!

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Sorry can’t upload the pic of my 1967 Singer Gazelle. Original off white with a red flash down the sides.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Spent time today cleaning up some bolt threads. Also removed broken stud from stud plate, cut the head off of a good bolt, lined it up and welded it into the stud plate. Then painted.
One stud was even a bit bent which straighten out a little with the die going over it.
IMG_20211026_212917.jpg

Then used both stud plates to finish alignment and attach the LH fender to the radiator panel, and tighten down the radiator panel and front valance.
1635237426880.jpg

Next up is fitting a few things on the engine bay side of the radiator panel.