Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rapid Exhaust - Marriage Savers

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
have J-pipes on both my cars - 0 drone. J-pipes are not as aggressive as marriage savers.
Other way round....

J pipes are straight pipes with no mufflers, just the J pipe ( called a Helmholtz chamber)

the marriage savers have 2 small glass pack resonators on each J pipe section so it both eliminates the drone frequency but also reduces volume a little.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Other way round....

J pipes are straight pipes with no mufflers, just the J pipe ( called a Helmholtz chamber)

the marriage savers have 2 small glass pack resonators on each J pipe section so it both eliminates the drone frequency but also reduces volume a little.

i had been told the opposite and people often say they got j-pipes but still too loud so went marriage savers instead.

so who's telling the porky pies? i've only ever had j-pipes so have no personal comparison point.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
i had been told the opposite and people often say they got j-pipes but still too loud so went marriage savers instead.

so who's telling the porky pies? i've only ever had j-pipes so have no personal comparison point.
Apples and oranges

A J pipe, at the correct length, will help to eliminate the frequencies that cause drone

They will not have any effect on the actual volume of the exhaust

I've had a J pipe fitted to a few cars that, whilst acceptably loud, the drone was punishing, J pipes make living in a stripped out club car liveable

https://www.performancetrucks.net/f...xhaust-resonator-tube-eliminate-drone-489463/

This is the catback that I got to knock out drone on my old 86

20191022_150530.thumb.jpg.87e3f0bd159bef1ccb09f0d0eb990dc0.jpg

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
well i have j-pipes on two cars and there is no drone, so maybe it was something else for you. I was not looking to reduce volume at all.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
Thank you everyone for your replies looks like I might be a little stuck with what to do

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Another J pipe success story here. This is on a Harrop Pro Extreme exhaust which I would not recommend to anyone as it droned worse than a slowly dying donkey moaning into a set of loud speakers with the bass turned right up. Right around 1700rpm.

I think where the confusion is people buy so called "j pipes" which are generally a muffler delete straight pipe with a j pipe hanging off the side. Then they wonder why it is so loud.

A j pipe to cancel drone is typically custom made.

As mentioned previously, the idea of a j pipe is to cancel drone and it is to be installed onto an existing muffler system. The marriage savers are a unique setup where they are a combination of j pipe, straight pipe, and resonators. Pretty smick. I'd like to give it a go on mine just to see what it they sound like.

Attachments

• 20200501_123739.jpg
    20200501_123739.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 20200610_140625.jpg
    20200610_140625.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 141

chris2872

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VFSS
So with headers, high flow cats and a 3" stainless system marriage savers would increase the overall volume or decrease it?

I know the chambers are tuned to reduce drone...but I'm after some more low end growl and burble and I can only find info and clips with these fitted to bog stock exhausts....which doesn't really help.

So outside the car, do marriage savers increase or decrease overall volume?

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
So with headers, high flow cats and a 3" stainless system marriage savers would increase the overall volume or decrease it?

I know the chambers are tuned to reduce drone...but I'm after some more low end growl and burble and I can only find info and clips with these fitted to bog stock exhausts....which doesn't really help.

So outside the car, do marriage savers increase or decrease overall volume?
Versus a full rear muffler they will increase volume.
I replaced my walkinshaw / difillipo rear mufflers with marriage savers and it is considerably louder

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
Versus a full rear muffler they will increase volume.
I replaced my walkinshaw / difillipo rear mufflers with marriage savers and it is considerably louder
Considerably louder at idle? Or just at cruise or full throttle?
Ive got a full 2.5” DPE system but no note seperation at low & mid rev range. Im wondering whether marriage savers will create note seperation from lower rev range onwards?
Also will the marriage savers decrease cabin noise?