Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rapid Exhaust - Marriage Savers

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Considerably louder at idle? Or just at cruise or full throttle?
Ive got a full 2.5” DPE system but no note seperation at low & mid rev range. Im wondering whether marriage savers will create note seperation from lower rev range onwards?
Also will the marriage savers decrease cabin noise?
It’s noticeable at idle, but not over the top. Considerably louder when driving. Heaps louder into it.

same as you mine had no note separation in mid range. These fixed that.

cabin noise will increase

If you are in Sydney you are welcome to come listen

DrewPeacock76

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF II SSV Redline
Versus a full rear muffler they will increase volume.
I replaced my walkinshaw / difillipo rear mufflers with marriage savers and it is considerably louder
Any recommendation on which are best? Where'd you get yours from?

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Any recommendation on which are best? Where'd you get yours from?
Marriage savers are made by rapid exhaust. You can buy them online if you do a google search

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Resurrecting this again has anyone looked inside their marriage savers?

I did tonight and there is some average looking cutting (not even the same size on each muffler) entering the J pipe section, wondering if others are the same? This is looking directly into the pipe from the end that bolts onto the rest of the system.

Should this cutting even exist as I thought it was meant to be a capped end?

I've not been 100% happy with them, still some drone around 1600 and 1200rpm albeit better than HSV bi modals when set to open, although they do have a throatier less muffled note, with better note separation in particular under 3500 rpm.

I have a Calais V V8 auto btw

Attachments

• IMG_20220724_171124597_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220724_171124597_HDR.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20220724_193331059.jpg
    IMG_20220724_193331059.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 79

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
At least the weld penetration is acceptable...

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
I know this is an old thread so apologies for bringing it up. But have they changed/improved at all since? I'm looking at putting them on my VE Calais and it states that there is no drone but I don't want to waste my money if that's not correct as I hate drone.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-COM...-/224424091479?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286
Mate l'm assuming it's a V8 with AFM, I had to take the sports mufflers off ours. The spouse is half deaf (selective hearing) and even she was complaining about them. Up around 100kph if the AFM cut in it was headache material. Apart from that they sounded really good, nice V8 burble, not the cackle that you hear in alot of systems. I ended up returning them because of other manufacturing issues. Good luck with yours.

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Mate l'm assuming it's a V8 with AFM, I had to take the sports mufflers off ours. The spouse is half deaf (selective hearing) and even she was complaining about them. Up around 100kph if the AFM cut in it was headache material. Apart from that they sounded really good, nice V8 burble, not the cackle that you hear in alot of systems. I ended up returning them because of other manufacturing issues. Good luck with yours.
Correct (Calais V sedan) and agreed on all counts there. There are essentially two problems with the product:

1. V8 Drone 1200rpm & 1600rpm
2. AFM drone at all RPM - but again in particular 1600rpm which with a 2.92 diff is 100km/h

Credit where it's due, #1 problem is not too bad with the marriage savers versus even HSV bi modals open or shut - although they are still a reasonably loud 'muffler' overall and probably juuuust legal. Probably cuts 2/3rds of the drone. If you had a manual or turned off AFM they are probably ok.

#2 is a bigger issue and is very noticeable at all RPM but around 1,600 drone zone in 4cl/AFM mode its not good.

Darren at the business seems really nice but the reality is these mufflers/hotdogs are still too loud for use in AFM systems.

What they probably need to do, is make the centre pipe also be a hotdog in addition to the J pipe extensions to reduce the dB, or otherwise sell a traditional oval type muffler with a J pipe added to it to quieten it down, and eliminate drone.

I'm now investigating adding a H pipe after my centre hotdogs (just behind centre brace) to see if that fixes the drone, others have reported that it does.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Correct (Calais V sedan) and agreed on all counts there. There are essentially two problems with the product:

1. V8 Drone 1200rpm & 1600rpm
2. AFM drone at all RPM - but again in particular 1600rpm which with a 2.92 diff is 100km/h

Credit where it's due, #1 problem is not too bad with the marriage savers versus even HSV bi modals open or shut - although they are still a reasonably loud 'muffler' overall and probably juuuust legal. Probably cuts 2/3rds of the drone. If you had a manual or turned off AFM they are probably ok.

#2 is a bigger issue and is very noticeable at all RPM but around 1,600 drone zone in 4cl/AFM mode its not good.

Darren at the business seems really nice but the reality is these mufflers/hotdogs are still too loud for use in AFM systems.

What they probably need to do, is make the centre pipe also be a hotdog in addition to the J pipe extensions to reduce the dB, or otherwise sell a traditional oval type muffler with a J pipe added to it to quieten it down, and eliminate drone.

I'm now investigating adding a H pipe after my centre hotdogs (just behind centre brace) to see if that fixes the drone, others have reported that it does.
Darren said he could add a hotdog in the Centre section of the marriage savers.

I’m about to cam my Calais, and may do this if it gets too loud or I experience further drone

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Darren said he could add a hotdog in the Centre section of the marriage savers.

I’m about to cam my Calais, and may do this if it gets too loud or I experience further drone
Interesting I'll enquire about this

Pretty amazing overall though that in 2022 no one has made a system for the VF and VE Commodore, that is drone free (except Sureflo), and will pass noise and emissions tests. And I'm not spending $3.5k or whatever it costs to achieve that.

Everyone's solution is J pipes - but they are too loud and would fail noise test.

Holden and HSV gave up and just went with bi modals which is a band aid to disguise the problem.

Seriously I've never seen another car that has so many issues with exhausts fitted.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Interesting I'll enquire about this

Pretty amazing overall though that in 2022 no one has made a system for the VF and VE Commodore, that is drone free (except Sureflo), and will pass noise and emissions tests. And I'm not spending $3.5k or whatever it costs to achieve that.

Everyone's solution is J pipes - but they are too loud and would fail noise test.

Holden and HSV gave up and just went with bi modals which is a band aid to disguise the problem.

Seriously I've never seen another car that has so many issues with exhausts fitted.
An exhaust fabricated at a exhaust shop, using quality resonators and mufflers is what you need

The centre resonators that come standard, and the resonators that 99% of aftermarket exhausts use are cheap rubbish without any internal volume or real though in the actual design

It is the same with the mufflers used

Large bodied resonators and mufflers is what is required

I'm running 1 7/8 4:1 headers to the Sureflo 3.5" single on my blown VX SS with 3.46 rear, the center muffler and rear resonator both have large bodies, there is no drone at any RPM, and both me and the Mrs do alot of hwy miles where drone would be unacceptable

With the windows up and cruising at 100 - 110kph you wouldn't know the engine was running until you mashed the loud pedal

This pic isn't mine, but the exhaust is typical to mine, the muffler is in the middle (basically the biggest that fits) with the big (huge) resonator at the rear
images.jpeg-19.jpg

Disclaimer: my exhaust shakes the house when it starts up in the garage, but sitting inside it is nice and quite with only a slighty shake from the cam