Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

faults and maintenance

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
or aftermarket adjustable fpr which i have done
How well does the adjustable reg work does it make a VS drink fuel?
You didn't answer the other day when I asked.

Last edited:

Lachlan3491

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
Your profile says you are 18y/o
Did you seriously get this car when you were 10?
And how much/where did you drive in the time you have owned it?
Dad drove it for the first few years then I ended up getting it off him so I could fix it up

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
How well does the adjustable reg work does it make a VS drink fuel?
You didn't answer the other day when I asked.
sorry i didn t see the alert about your reply but after i fitted the fpr i did take it to a mechanic to check the fuel pressure and fit new genuine holden/gm leads and spark plugs that i had and fuel usage is about the same

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I'd expect transmission to eventually need rebuild 200-300k mark so budget for that.

You'll find out in first few months what it really needs as suspect parts tend to break in short period of time when stat daily driving something old.

That is what I've found with most cars but then after troublesome period they settle it good for tired old jiggers as long as it's not full of fake parts or bodgey repairs by previous owners

Lachlan3491

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
Lads lads lads got a bit of a issue here, so I got a little knock coming top end I have diagnosed it to be a rocker. It appears that it just sticks and appears to only be one rocker right now, I believe I would be able to fix that but I have had my eyes on a set of high ratio rockers anyone got info on those/ would I need different push rods?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes you will require new push rods. HRR's are normally sold in a kit which includes the rockers.

Lachlan3491

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
I though you could use the stock pushrods for older models if you only went up to 1.9:1? I will go see if there is already a threads on it to dig deeper, but thank you for the assistance :)

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR Commodore Acclaim
When
Hey lads, just wondering if there are any common faults or maintenance requirements with high mileage cars that I should look into, got a 97 VS Ute with the 3.8 ecotec the kms are unknown the odm stoped working on 223,XXX have had the car for around 8 years and the odm has never worked last records I found if it working through service history was 2009.
these are some of the following I have already replaced or serviced
-Rocker cover gaskets
-Plugs and leads
-swapped in LSD diff around 120,XXX
- all front bushings are Poly
- replaced the whole cooling system
-alternator
- tie rods
- fresh oil in motor, box and diff
- auto filter
- resealed fuel pump due to leak
Side note
-will be replacing the intake valley gasket soon
-service history is hard to track between 2009 and 2014ish
- I service the car very regularly
When I first read your post I thought you said your car stopped working... Given what you've replaced it's probably going to last a long time if you drive it carefully. As to the odometer, here's my nightmare story. In 2019 I was driving out of Melb to the northeast on the freeway. Decided to reset the tripmeter and as I did it stopped working along with the odometer. Looked up a youtube video when I got back and found there's a small plastic cog in the speedo module where a tooth or two break, so I replaced that, then NOTHING worked including the speedo, Sent the whole cluster off to a reputable repairer and when it came back still nothing worked... the repairer told me that the broken tooth had been jamming the mechanism. Sent it back again - same story. I didn't feel like driving the 45kms to the repairer so I took the car to the local auto electrician to check. He found that the signal was getting through so he sourced me a used cluster. Odo/tripmeter didn't work on it but speedo lasted a week then stopped. He got me another used unit - odo/tripmeter still didn't work on this but speedo did. By this time I'd spent about $415 on the damn thing so I just gave up and started to keep a distance log instead. Now I don't even notice that the odo/tripmeter still don't work.

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
I though you could use the stock pushrods for older models if you only went up to 1.9:1? I will go see if there is already a threads on it to dig deeper, but thank you for the assistance :)
I put a set of Yella terra roller rockers in my VX V6 at about 100,000 k's.
Still there. No probs at all. Car has got 340,000 on it. More power. more torque and it seemed to rev better.

Lachlan3491

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
Lads I am in a big horrible situation right now, just finished doing the valley gaskets, and the car is struggling to run and not firing all cylinders, I put a scope down the intake to have a look around there no rags or bolts in there, no sign of damage, all valves are fine, but the motor is knocking and pinging, bearly idles, need throttle to start. As a note I checked the rockers to see if they are still operating which they are, the coils are sparking, fuel is getting to the rail (have not check injectors yet), but the strangest thing is there are no error codes popping up. Another thing to add when the car is running on the beats it nearly stalls out the interior light will flicker.