Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leaking Radiator

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
$654 for parts.

Denso USA radiator

Ouch....

2 years ago, I bought a 3 core copper radiator for my VC...Cheap one was just over $300 and the expensive one was over $600....

I'm surprised an alloy radiator is so expensive, when copper is worth more than alloy

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Maybe time to trade it in for something more reliable for me...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Maybe time to trade it in for something more reliable for me...
This one....
1668504757851.png

Or this one

1668504798928.png

Or this one

1668504840301.png

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
sold my 3.3 UC Torana for $500 in 2003. pig of a thing with rust everywhere, so no regrets really.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Just because it's not too expensive I will also replace complete heater hoses, overflow hose and crossover hose :) That way I dont need to worry about cooling system for a long time ;) All OEM obviously

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I am confident to diy this apart from adding any trasmission fluid as it may be needed. Should I just give it a crack ?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I am confident to diy this apart from adding any trasmission fluid as it may be needed. Should I just give it a crack ?

Can you get the car up in the air enough to comfortably get under it - and level? And do you have anything that can measure the temperature of the transmission pan? If so, I think you’ll be able to do it.

Top up the transmission when you do the radiator so it’s a bit over full. Then lift the car up, get it running and keep measuring the temperature. When it hits the required temperature band, remove the level checking plug on the pan and let the excess fluid drain. Replace the plug when the fluid stops draining in a steady stream.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Can you get the car up in the air enough to comfortably get under it - and level? And do you have anything that can measure the temperature of the transmission pan? If so, I think you’ll be able to do it.

Top up the transmission when you do the radiator so it’s a bit over full. Then lift the car up, get it running and keep measuring the temperature. When it hits the required temperature band, remove the level checking plug on the pan and let the excess fluid drain. Replace the plug when the fluid stops draining in a steady stream.
Yeah...nah. That will not be possible. Mechanic quoted $300 for the job. Might just get him to do it all...

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Yes!
You'll also be fine adding trans fluid, if you can do a cooling system you can definitely do the trans.

You could also remove radiator and see how much trans fluid comes out by pushing air through one side of the cooler and if it's not heaps then you won't need to add. Just be careful with the hoses, as soon as they're disconnected hold them upwards and ockey strap to the bonnet latch to avoid leakage.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Have a look at longer heater hose set price !!! Hahahah

No thanks !

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221117_164702_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20221117_164702_Drive.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 95