Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what did you do to your car today?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
So not sure if this is the issue but could the bolts be in the wrong direction? Would that cause vibes?
Do you mean the bolts that hold the rubber donuts in place?

The donuts have a particular direction of rotation and must be fitted correctly while the bolts also have a particular direction of installation (if I remember the workshop manual; three point one way while the other three point the other way) :rolleyes:

Unfortunately my iPad won’t play nicely with the workshop manual PdF (post one of Apples updates) and the pc seems just so far away from the tv atm :rolleyes: sorry:p

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Do you mean the bolts that hold the rubber donuts in place?

The donuts have a particular direction of rotation and must be fitted correctly while the bolts also have a particular direction of installation (if I remember the workshop manual; three point one way while the other three point the other way) :rolleyes:

Unfortunately my iPad won’t play nicely with the workshop manual PdF (post one of Apples updates) and the pc seems just so far away from the tv atm :rolleyes: sorry:p
So how do you know if its facing the right way? Three bolts can only go in one direction the others three can go in either way which could I could have them the wrong way round.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
So how do you know if its facing the right way? Three bolts can only go in one direction the others three can go in either way which could I could have them the wrong way round.
If three can only go in one way, then presumably the other three go in from the other side. Put another way, all six nuts shouldn’t be on the same side of the donut.

But for certainty, look at the VF workshop manual as the VE and VF are the same in this regard (if memory serves, it’s specified in the workshop manual).

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2
Had a good look at it and had to check the the battery hasn`t gone flat
due to a fall last Saturday tripped fell over an Extension lead and landed with my arms crossed
no damage just had to have an Xray on my Right Patella (knee cap) to see why I can`t walk or Drive
over it, at least 4-5 days before it settles down but no factures
Hey

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
Would that cause vibes?
Vibes would be any of the drivetrain/worn suspension rubbers/clutch/bearings/unbalanced wheels/even the motor
Tyres/tread with bad roads and road/tyre temps/pressures generally humm, not vibrate unless out of balance, try increasing your pressures to eliminate noise.

Usually its engine/gearbox mounts and the elephant in the room = tailshaft/diff/drive shafts

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If three can only go in one way, then presumably the other three go in from the other side. Put another way, all six nuts shouldn’t be on the same side of the donut.
There are only three nuts and six bolts. I have reversed the bolts that had the nuts. Guess I can only see if that helps.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
From what I can see the coupling is not directional. There is nothing on it that specifies which way it should face and it looks the same on both sides. Although I have the part number readable if I face the front of the diff.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I do remember the other user on the forum with a weird balance issue and it was found rubber was breaking up inside the carcass and would settle changing the balance each time but not sure what tires they were or how old they were etc.

@Jolls IIRC

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Thing is though, if those bolts were causing an out of balance issue it would have been apparent from day 1 and not come and go.