Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Home Security Cameras

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
ok so do you only store onsite or do you push a backup into the cloud also.
My Synology is linked to a 200gb google drive (which costs like $2 per month) which replicates the 14 day footage there.

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
Yeah, sorry to say but in my opinion RING products are simply unusable. They have their devices all locked-down so you can't use them with anyone else's NVRs, and you can't add anyone else's devices to their system.

Plus, as mentioned, you are not only forced to pay them a subscription fee to use a product that you bought and paid for, but you are reliant on their servers for your security system to work. If they ever go belly-up you're screwed (and not in a good way)!

Let's not even go into the security issues of giving someone you don't know complete access to your security system (that's why America just banned all Hikvision products after all)!
Very true and then there is the battery charging all the time :rolleyes:

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I've been using Reolink wifi cameras at my place for 5 years now with great results (I've just bought the reolink doorbell too).

All integrate perfeclty into my Synology nas (Synology's survelliance station is epic, the mobile app is great too).

55BmpBR.png

Don't get any of the JB/harvey norman/officeworks/bunnings swann setups or propriatary stuff that means you have to use their cameras with their NVR's etc it gets messy and the software is almost always clunky.

I've got my NAS setup doing 24/7 recording with motion detection and 14 day retention. I much prefer constant recording to recording on motion.
what is the footage like at night?

maybe I need to contract this task to someone else. :D

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
There's a doorbell? Awesome. I have a RING but would like a POE. Thanks for the heads up!
Ring has an overpriced POE elite doorbell but best to sit down when they tell you the $500 price. That price is annoying when one realises that POE hardware is cheap as evident from the $35 POE hat for raspberry Pi

I don't like Ring’s cloud based subscription business model which includes selling access to your video feed to the police (not that I’ve got anything to hide but when I scratch my balls is my business and no one else’s)…

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
Ring has an overpriced POE elite doorbell but best to sit down when they tell you the $500 price. That price is annoying when one realises that POE hardware is cheap as evident from the $35 POE hat for raspberry Pi

I don't like Ring’s cloud based subscription business model which includes selling access to your video feed to the police (not that I’ve got anything to hide but when I scratch my balls is my business and no one else’s)…
depends how often you scratch your balls at the front door? :oops:

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man

maybe I need to contract this task to someone else. :D
depends on the camera you choose. some have better LEDs in them now but the night vision is pretty good also.

I set up a 50w LED flood light in front of my shed also. It lights up the front like a tennis court ;)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
depends how often you scratch your balls at the front door? :oops:
Ring provides more than doorbell cameras ;) and it’s my porch so there is that :p

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
My Synology is linked to a 200gb google drive (which costs like $2 per month) which replicates the 14 day footage there.

Unfortunately that's one thing I can't do. Living in a rural area means crappy internet upload speeds as there's no NBN node anywhere near here (and not likely to be one any time soon).

I am looking at one of these Starlink low-orbit satellite setups but a) the monthly subscriptions are stratospheric (pun intended) and b) I'm concerned about all the reported 'micro' dropouts as it switches satellites, which while inconsequential when streaming movies etc.,, may be a worry when uploading/downloading, but I'm not sure as I have no way to test without committing to an install?

My Hikvision cameras have "Darkfighter" (I think that's what it's called), which as far as I can see just means they have built-in infrared LEDs around the camera lens, but they are absolutely brilliant at night (again, pun intended). Anything out to a few metres is clear-as-day, even in pitch black (to human eyes).

Infrared lighting (LED floodlights, etc.) is becoming more common these days too. Although I'm still looking for a way to get an alert from my Synology Surveillance Station to my Hubitat (smart home hub) so I can activate lights etc. upon motion detection (and yes, I realise that can be done with sensor lights but then why have home automation ;)).