Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Re-manufactured 19" Redline Wheels & Tyres

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon, S1 VE wagon SSV8
I would be wanting to know more about the 'remanufactured' wheels. Are they genuine OEM wheels that have been restored or are they cheap chinese knock offs.
Yes, good point. That's one of the reasons I want to talk to these guys at Statewide, because there is very little info about these on the site. They haven't even bothered to fill in the table that they've got with obvious things. For $2800, I want to know a few more things. I actually couldn't imagine that there'd be too many complete original sets of Redline wheels around - enough to have a continual supply of sets like this, so many years after they were made. So maybe they ARE chinese copies. They give their hours as open on Sat so will try calling again tomorrow.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
They'd be 19" all around.
Fronts would be 8.5" wide and the rears 9".

No 18" redline wheels.
oh ok - But that is different to what the wheel and tyre place have advertised and also what I was told by someone - that they were 18" on the rear and 19" on the front (obviously to clear the Brembos) It didn't really make sense to me. The standard VE had 18" rims but yes I thought the Series 2, which is when the first Redline came out, went up to 19" for the SS-V and Redline models. Here is what is printed on that page, which is really the only thing they have got written about them:

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS:​

These wheels come as two sizes: 275/35/18 and 245/40/19.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
oh ok - But that is different to what the wheel and tyre place have advertised and also what I was told by someone - that they were 18" on the rear and 19" on the front (obviously to clear the Brembos) It didn't really make sense to me. The standard VE had 18" rims but yes I thought the Series 2, which is when the first Redline came out, went up to 19" for the SS-V and Redline models. Here is what is printed on that page, which is really the only thing they have got written about them:

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS:​

These wheels come as two sizes: 275/35/18 and 245/40/19.

They're mistaken. Probably a misprint. Also, they're vf2 redline wheels.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
Last edited:

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
They're mistaken. Probably a misprint. Also, they're vf2 redline wheels.
Thanks for that dude. Didn't realise they were VF ones. As I said in the OP, I had a feeling there was something not right about that listing. But is the rear tyre size right? Did the VE Redlines have 275's on them?

Those ones on Gumtree you showed, don't look too bad, but not sure they'd come down that much though, plus have to factor in postage to Perth, and the biggest factor is - would they send them intersate and if so, do I trust them to get it done properly? I have had no end of bad luck with GT for a few years now, seems like it or many sellers are turning to shi%. Take a look at the ad, or any lazy ad written like that, with bad spelling and hardly any information and pretty average pictures, and I ask myself - what sort of people are they and do they really want to sell them? We're not talking about something for fifty or a hundred bucks. They want $1500 but they haven't even taken them out of the boxes or cleaned the dust off before taking photos. And no description about them other than what they are.

After 25 plus years of buying and selling stuff online, my experience tells me that that is the sort of ad that if I was interested, I would have to be within 15-20km and eyeball them first and sus out the seller also.

I know this has turned into a rant but that's it! Over and Out.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Did the VE Redlines have 275's on them?
No, VE Redlines were all 19" x 8.5" all round with 245 tires.
First Redlines were a polished alloy wheel similar to a Cadillac CTS wheel.
MY12 Redlines were a polished alloy spoke style wheel that carried over to early VF Redlines.
Slightly later VF S1's had a black anodised version that were 19" x 8.5" front and 19" x 9.0" rears, these were the first Redlines with 275 tires.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ahh - ok - got it. Appreciate the info Imoenginr. Hell there's a few changes they went through, but starting to get an idea now. That's good, I can start widening the search details, so to speak. I think I have an idea of the spoke design you mention, I think its' actually a better looking thing than those VF black powder coated ones, which are a bit gross, bit ugly IMO.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Imoengnr, This listing is pretty well what you described - pics below. I can get them for $540 each - come with Pirelli Dragonsport, which would be better than the Falkens I think. Bit better than $2800. And these look better - although these in black would prob look pretty good too.

Edit -- just had another look - seems like he's only got two of them.

Attachments

• Redline wheels2.jpg
    Redline wheels2.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Redline wheels ebay.jpg
    Redline wheels ebay.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Redline wheels ebay 2.jpg
    Redline wheels ebay 2.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 60

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Well, this thread got me reading about the history of Firestone. They are a subsidiary of Bridgestone, bought by them (a Japanese company) quite cheap in 1988 because they were in deep financial trouble. BS might have factories in China but my particular tyres have Made in Japan on them. As for how much design and manufacturing input the Parent company BS had or has over Firestone over the years, only some higher staff or employees would know the details of that. But it was interesting to read that they were not as good as they are now, having been through two massive recalls due to design and or manufacturing defects which caused many deaths and injuries and the accompanying bad press for decades after.

Tyres have a formula developed at one plant and that formula is used throughout all plants....

And yes tyre manufacturers ( amongst other manufacturers) have recalls....I see it as how they react to those recalls determines what sort of company they are...