Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Re-manufactured 19" Redline Wheels & Tyres

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon, S1 VE wagon SSV8
Hi all;

This S1 2008 VE I just bought has Brembos retro fitted and I don't like the Speedy 20" chromes currently on it, so as I am tending towards keeping cars more original, I'm looking for some S2 Redline rims. Which isn't easy these days (unless you want to buy one or two at a time and get them reco'ed). I came across this place in Sydney called Statewide Rims & Tyres which has a set of re-man Redlines and tyres (Faulkans) on their site. See pic from the site. Think they're in Guildford.

I tried calling them to ask a few questions but the landline has been disconnected and the mobile is not answering. I'm in Perth so I want to make sure everything is to my satisfaction before forking out this money $2800 (plus shipping!)

Couple of questions, has anyone in Sydney dealt with this place recently or previously? Seem to have reasonably reviews, but past experience has shown me that this doesn't really mean a great deal sometimes. Also can't see any recent reviews.

I have a feeling that they won't have them in stock, I have a feeling that they are just on the site as bait or forgotten to be removed, or maybe the company has closed.

Has anyone had Faulken tyres and what did they think of them? I doubt they'd be as good as what I have on at the moment which are BS Potenzas 20" 245/40

PS, it's interesting to me about the different sizes 19/18 and 245/275 front to rear - never seen this before on an Aussie car

Thanks for any thoughts.

Attachments

• Redline wheels.jpg
    Redline wheels.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 79

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Faulkens have been around for many many years...Ran them on my Centura...Loved them....

I think they are good value for money

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Faulkens have been around for many many years...Ran them on my Centura...Loved them....

I think they are good value for money
Thanks for your experience

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Has anyone had Faulken tyres

I'm running Falkens on the Mini (ZIEX ZE914)

Obviously a much smaller, lighter and less powerful car than a Commodore, but they grip well wet or dry and are wearing well after some 9,000 miles.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm running Falkens on the Mini (ZIEX ZE914)

Obviously a much smaller, lighter and less powerful car than a Commodore, but they grip well wet or dry and are wearing well after some 9,000 miles.
Ta mate, that's good to know. Esp in the wet. Yes, weight will def have an effect on wear rate. Hopefully if I can get these Redline wheels which are alum, the gross weight of the car will decrease over these chromies on it now.

Just had a look, they are Japanese,Falken since about 1985, now they are under the Sumitomo brand. Good to know. The less Chinese made things I have on this car the better. I have Firestone Superhawk, made in Japan (? think that's the name) on the front of my VK and they are the best wearing and grippiest tyres I've ever had. Saved me having a head on once. Stood on the brakes from 70km/h after someone turned in front of me and they didn't lock up, just gripped hard and came down to a slow speed very quickly, dead straight.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Ta mate, that's good to know. Esp in the wet. Yes, weight will def have an effect on wear rate. Hopefully if I can get these Redline wheels which are alum, the gross weight of the car will decrease over these chromies on it now.

Just had a look, they are Japanese,Falken since about 1985, now they are under the Sumitomo brand. Good to know. The less Chinese made things I have on this car the better. I have Firestone Superhawk, made in Japan (? think that's the name) on the front of my VK and they are the best wearing and grippiest tyres I've ever had. Saved me having a head on once. Stood on the brakes from 70km/h after someone turned in front of me and they didn't lock up, just gripped hard and came down to a slow speed very quickly, dead straight.

Not all Chinese tyres are shite....

You'll be surprised at the different brands that have factories in China, amongst other countries

Those marvellous Firestones on your VK are made by Bridgestone and guess what...Bridgestone have a manufacturing plant in China..

Last edited:

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis

Other Countries Falken Tyres are Manufactured in.​

Falken tyres are manufactured in several different countries around the world.

This includes factories in:

• Germany
  • Italy
  • The United States of America
  • Spain
  • China
  • Japan
Each factory has its own specific strengths and capabilities, which allows Falken to create tyres that are specifically tailored to the needs of each region. For example, the Chinese factory is known for its high-quality retreading and repairing services, while the Spanish factory is particularly good at producing ultra-high performance tyres.

I would be wanting to know more about the 'remanufactured' wheels. Are they genuine OEM wheels that have been restored or are they cheap chinese knock offs.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
PS, it's interesting to me about the different sizes 19/18 and 245/275 front to rear - never seen this before on an Aussie car

They'd be 19" all around.
Fronts would be 8.5" wide and the rears 9".

No 18" redline wheels.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Those marvellous Firestones on your VK are made by Bridgestone and guess what...Bridgestone have a manufacturing plant in China..
Well, this thread got me reading about the history of Firestone. They are a subsidiary of Bridgestone, bought by them (a Japanese company) quite cheap in 1988 because they were in deep financial trouble. BS might have factories in China but my particular tyres have Made in Japan on them. As for how much design and manufacturing input the Parent company BS had or has over Firestone over the years, only some higher staff or employees would know the details of that. But it was interesting to read that they were not as good as they are now, having been through two massive recalls due to design and or manufacturing defects which caused many deaths and injuries and the accompanying bad press for decades after.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Falkens have plenty of grip, wet and dry, but don't last long on a porky V8 Commodore.