Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Corroded rims

RenfieldFive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore SV6 Sportwagon
About 6 months ago I took the standard 18" rims off my VF commodore and put some 20's on it. I put the old rims around the side of the house with the intention of selling them. I've owned the car since new and there was not a mark on them ...no curb rash, no gouging ... nothing. They were immaculate. The other day I thought it was about time to pull my finger out and put them on market place. Upon inspection though I can see all these marks on them. I tried autosol, cutting polish etc. but nothing removed it. It looks like the alloy has oxidized. They were fine all the time they were on the car but 6 months storage and they look like **** and I'm baffled as to why. Has anybody got any ideas about cleaning them up ?

Attachments

• 20231112_153102.jpg
    20231112_153102.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 108

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Could be Filiform Corrosion, which is corrosion under the clear coat. More unsightly cosmetic than structurally dangerous.

A wire wheel, fine sandpaper and elbow grease were used on a set of polished rims that I bought.
As a DIY, I didn't get them back to the original polished condition, just painted silver and clear coated, and as you intend selling them, cut your profit and sell as is.

RenfieldFive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore SV6 Sportwagon
Could be Filiform Corrosion, which is corrosion under the clear coat. More unsightly cosmetic than structurally dangerous.

A wire wheel, fine sandpaper and elbow grease were used on a set of polished rims that I bought.
As a DIY, I didn't get them back to the original polished condition, just painted silver and clear coated, and as you intend selling them, cut your profit and sell as is.
Yeah, thought it might be something like that. I'll probably do as you said and just sell them as is.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
That happened to the alloy rocker covers and the rims on my XY.

I live near the ocean and the salt air applies a layer of surface rust on every metal object left outside and with alloy that’s the result you get.

It takes an amazing amount of effort to rectify if you are going to try and remove it by hand, as it is pitted and a simple polish won’t do a thing for it.

Whenever I remove rims and tyres from a vehicle for storage and I have a truck load of them, I clean the rims, give them a polish, then apply a couple of layers sealer, then I apply 303 Aerospace protectant to the tyres and finally I buy a 300 metre roll of no-name brand of gladwrap and I wrap and wrap and wrap each rim & tyre in it before I store them.

I can come back to them years later and they look brand new.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah, thought it might be something like that. I'll probably do as you said and just sell them as is.
Good plan. Trying to rectify the issue will cost more than they are worth. If they are stock VF alloys, which they look like they sell pretty cheap. Under $300 a set I've seen them go for.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Some photos of the corrosion on my XY rims and my start to hand polish it out.

All 4 rims suffered the same fate and so far all I've done is start to rub them back with some wet & dry,

I used 80 grit to remove the pitting which left some mighty scratching, I then progressed through 120, 400, 600, 1000, 1500 & 2000 grit.

That gets the surface nice and smooth so I can start machine polishing to bring back the mirror finish.

It's been a big pain in the bum.

1699944825313.jpeg

1699944842756.jpeg

1699944863149.jpeg

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Some photos of the corrosion on my XY rims and my start to hand polish it out.

All 4 rims suffered the same fate and so far all I've done is start to rub them back with some wet & dry,

I used 80 grit to remove the pitting which left some mighty scratching, I then progressed through 120, 400, 600, 1000, 1500 & 2000 grit.

That gets the surface nice and smooth so I can start machine polishing to bring back the mirror finish.

It's been a big pain in the bum.

View attachment 260256

View attachment 260257

View attachment 260258

That would have been a lot of work to go from a 120 to a 400 grid.
I know, because l used to be a metal polisher.

Earlier in the year l polished my bboss eleanor 19x8 rims.
Masked them up, then paint (clear) stripped them.

Then started with the sand paper. Started with 80 grid, then 120, 180, 240, 320, 400, 600, last 800.
Then got my 4" grinder with a 60 mm extension on it.
Put close stitch mop on it. Mopped all the top surfaces of the wheel with tripoli. Then finished with green rouge.
Tripoli & green rouge are metal polishing compounds.
20230830_144622[1].jpg