Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Corroded rims

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Maybe you are far enough away from salt mist from the sea? Or the air is drier, being a bit colder. ;)
Everything around my house rusts and/or corrodes if not protected from the local air. Plus Sydney is a humid place.
Yeah near a river but a long way from the ocean.

@RevNev why did you need to run down the alloy so much? When I painted my rims I stripped the paint, them hit them with the sandblaster and then etch, and 2k primer. They came up great and smooth as anything once I rubbed the primer. There was no need for wet rubbing the bare alloy for me.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Yeah near a river but a long way from the ocean.

@RevNev why did you need to run down the alloy so much? When I painted my rims I stripped the paint, them hit them with the sandblaster and then etch, and 2k primer. They came up great and smooth as anything once I rubbed the primer. There was no need for wet rubbing the bare alloy for me.
I did what the painter wanted, and he told me the bare alloy was too rough. I rubbed the bare alloy with 400 then he etched and 2K primed them with a light guide coat. He told me then to wet rub the 2K primer with 800.

Here's the bare alloy.

20220430_141833.jpg

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I drove up to my local Bunnings to find they had stuff all in stock.
I used to go Bunnings for my sandpaper. Like you not much of a choice.
Now l go to the auto bodyshop supplies. Also have a full range.
Much cheaper.
.99 cents per sheet. But l was buying a lot more than 1 sheet.

When l was polishing, we used 3 phase 5hp machines that could be setup as a linisher, or attach spindles & use buffs.

I don't have any of this gear at my place. Wouldn't do me any good anyway. Wheels are to heavy for me.

All the prep work (sanding) was done by hand. Probably took a week from start to finish to do 1 wheel.

I've done 4 wheels, they are now on the car. Have 2 more to do.

First 2, after finishing polishing, l tried to 2 pack with clear. That was a failure.
Had them in a small room with a heater going. When the room temp. got 30 c. l sprayed them.
Came out crap. A lot of places the clear lifted. No stick. So, had start from scratch to do them again (at least the clear stripping).

When l do the next 2, when the first is finished l'll stick it out in the sun, to heat the material up. Then clear spray it.
If that works ok, l'll do the other 5.

The details are for people that don't know about polishing. Sorry for long response.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I did what the painter wanted, and he told me the bare alloy was too rough. I rubbed the bare alloy with 400 then he etched and 2K primed them with a light guide coat. He told me then to wet rub the 2K primer with 800.

Here's the bare alloy.

View attachment 260284
He would obviously know what he needed. Interesting that mine had some texture from the garnet but with the etch it pretty much filled the roughish surface and then 2k primer there was no sign of any roughness. A quick rub with 800 and I was done.

I wonder what other painters do? Because surely no way they would spend 10hrs per rim rubbing them down prior to etch. The cost would be more than a new set.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
We have a wheel/tyre rack like you see in tyre shops. Haven't wrapped anything and been okay since we moved north years ago. When we lived south, close to the sea, it did a number on anything polished. Would get under the clear and ruin the look.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I used to go Bunnings for my sandpaper. Like you not much of a choice.
Our local Autobarn has the best range locally, next best is Total Tools.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I buy mine from Nuts & Bolts at $1 a sheet and they have up to 2000.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
He would obviously know what he needed. Interesting that mine had some texture from the garnet but with the etch it pretty much filled the roughish surface and then 2k primer there was no sign of any roughness. A quick rub with 800 and I was done.

I wonder what other painters do? Because surely no way they would spend 10hrs per rim rubbing them down prior to etch. The cost would be more than a new set.
I think mine could've been etched and 2k primed with a quick rub before the base colour coat, but I told the painter "These wheels have to be mint", not just a pretty good result. I guess the prep work he got me to do was the preferred process for a "mint" job. They're the best I've ever had painted with a genuinely show car level finish!

Other new wheels I've had painted for a colour change, have been painted over the top of the original powder coated finish in most cases.

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I think mine could've been etched and 2k primed with a quick rub before the base colour coat, but I told the painter "These wheels have to be mint", not just a pretty good result. I guess the prep work he got me to do was the preferred process for a "mint" job. They're the best I've ever had painted with a genuinely show car level finish!

Other new wheels I've had painted for a colour change, have been painted over the top of the original powder coated finish in most cases.

Prep, prep, prep is the secret to every top finish, that can't be stressed too much.