Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Misses says get a new car, get a new car I will. (Juuust Checking VE's)

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Number plate blocking is understandable.....Just having the tow tongue hanging out not obstructing anything is another story in my book
You just need to remember this is Victoria we're talking about. The place where you turn right from the left lane and it's illegal to install a gas stove even though the state sells billions of dollars worth of gas to other countries so they can burn it instead. Then it all makes perfect sense.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
You just need to remember this is Victoria we're talking about. The place where you turn right from the left lane and it's illegal to install a gas stove even though the state sells billions of dollars worth of gas to other countries so they can burn it instead. Then it all makes perfect sense.
It’s even worse than that, they went from gas installations being compulsory to them being illegal within the space of about 12 months! No “in between“ area where you can make up your own mind, just compulsory one second and illegal the next!

“Gas connections will be banned in new homes and government buildings built in Victoria from next year.”

“The announcement comes after Victoria last year announced it would scrap mandatory gas connections on new homes, which will be phased out this year.”

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...as-connections-to-new-homes-from-january-2024

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Installing any gas appliance in Australia is illegal, not just Vic, but that's another story

Having been to Vic a few times, yeah coppers are a little different to say the least....But I won't go there ;)

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Number plate blocking is understandable.....Just having the tow tongue hanging out not obstructing anything is another story in my book

Just from my own personal experience, I’ve had no issues at all with the hitch and ball remaining on my car at all over many years (decades?). I’ve never been questioned or challenged by the police about it. The hitch/ball doesn’t obstruct the numberplate at all. And I’m in Victoria.

As you say, obstructing or blocking the number plate could be a different matter.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Just from my own personal experience, I’ve had no issues at all with the hitch and ball remaining on my car at all over many years (decades?). I’ve never been questioned or challenged by the police about it. The hitch/ball doesn’t obstruct the numberplate at all. And I’m in Victoria.

As you say, obstructing or blocking the number plate could be a different matter.

Obstruction of the plate with the towball is frowned upon in all states....Understandable... :)

I have been pulled up in Vic with the tow bar sticking out past my rear bumper bar and the coppers haven't said anything to me either..Searched the car for drugs, which I didn't care about, but nothing said about the towbar....

So strange one for sure....:)

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
It’s even worse than that, they went from gas installations being compulsory to them being illegal within the space of about 12 months! No “in between“ area where you can make up your own mind, just compulsory one second and illegal the next!

“Gas connections will be banned in new homes and government buildings built in Victoria from next year.”

“The announcement comes after Victoria last year announced it would scrap mandatory gas connections on new homes, which will be phased out this year.”

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...as-connections-to-new-homes-from-january-2024

Aussie bureaucracy at it's wanker best.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
Well well well.

I think I've found a nice looking thing, 2012 S2 VE, Calais, white, black leather, stock as a rock, 150k km's, service history, I've paid a deposit, hope to pick it up next weekend, $12.5k, done.

Guy with the blue SV6 never got back to me, Calais is nicer, win for me? Time will tell.

Now in other news... here I am on the street, bonnet up lets have a look at this dumb VY. Ok so crank and DFI related, well well well whats this.

ke.jpg

A loose wire! could I be so lucky?

Well no, this goes to the air conditioner pressure switch and whats this mess? Well I'm assuming it's from when they swapped in the manual box? Anyway what the heck is in here, pull it all back and yep, more of the same. Ok, re crimp everything oh wait whats this?

Pink and Blue Stripe, position #5 on that plug, anyone got a wiring diagram for a S1 VY I can reference to see why it's not connected to anything else in the body loom? Inspecting the other crimp mess, it didn't appear to break off from one of those but who knows.. Perhaps this is all that's stoping it?

purple.jpg

Either way, after re crimping everything known, inspecting the DFI wires (all ok), cleaning the connector still no good. :(

Dash not showing any codes, and odly, re cranking whilst the ignition is still on, the injectors spary nonestop? What the hells with that? :S

Have run out of time of course, back to the mechanic on Monday :(

Last edited:

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
Oh forgot to add, chap who is selling me the VE, he’s restoring a Supercharged VY :D busy with his young family but getting there. What a champ.

Good company these commodores do keep.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
No codes is a bit odd. My VS used to bring up a DFI code even when the car was running ok. Then 6 months later it would blow up again. I hate the dam things, DFI's that is.