Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Misses says get a new car, get a new car I will. (Juuust Checking VE's)

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
Hey Brains Trust.

Life be changing, time to grow up and a get a family car :)

What really caused this is a couple of trips to and from the mechanics with just dumb stuff falling off the VY. Crank angle sensor died (270,000 km's) and left me stranded with the groceries in the boot, then a couple of week later the DFI module died and parked with a busy day at work, no time to play with it, another tow truck to get it out and sorted.

So even though every piece of electronics that could be exposed to hard conditions has been replaced, (Idle, TPS, O2, DFI, Crank, Injectors), it's all too late. My VY is now unreliable, and can't trusted. I suppose I didn't help that she saw me working on it replacing bits and stuff.. I suppose that's the secret isn't it, never expose how the sausages are made.

The final death blow to the VY is indeed what makes it so much fun, it's manual transmission. Misses not intersted in learning, be that as it may, the seccond family car needs to be auto so she can be comfortable. And you can see where this is all going, the VY repalcement will need to be "nice", full of air bags, make beep beep noises before you run into things etc etc. I showed her a nice VN example in that Rose purple colour and she humoured me looking at the add before passing it back with "that look" thats says no.

I like the looks of VE's. I like that they were the last all in design classic Aussie sedan, I like the send it attitude the design bill must have cost when they spent all that time, in the face of slowing sales to stick with it, and make just one more sedan knowing it would not move the numbers they needed anyway. I love how they had a 5 series BMW in the shed and hacked it to pieces to make a local car as good. I love a good story, love the story behind the VE

Its punk. The VE is automtoive Punk :D a get wrecked GM, we are going to do it anyway STFU.

Beisde all that I never really paid attention to them when they came out. I think it was all tarnished by the Alloytech chain breaking what ever dissapointment that was to be the early V6. I'm looking at 100-150k km examples , I'm assuiming at that milage I'll be up for a big service anyway, and from what I unserstand, I should just aim for a late 2012, (MY12.5) something with at least a LFX and it should be ok? Is that kinda where it is? Or was the LFX all series 2 VE's at 2011?

Finally I understand the "Z" trim maight make this easy for me. I gather it had everything prior the VF release, so filled with all the beep beep's, and all the 6's were LFX's due to their age. Sounds like a Safe bet? Anyone got a yellow one for sale? :D

Cheers,

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Very few protective beep beep noises in VE except if you have reverse sensors.

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
I know right, I'm on a pretty good ticket, shes a beaut she is :)

Ah the missing piece of context, this 2nd family car will need to tow stuff, mostly my race car. The Principle family car is her Mazda 3,

And funny you mention Toyota.. There was a moment where I was looking for a V6 late model Camry! Turns out they didn't sell very well here but otherwise, they look ok! Will tow 1600kg, 300hp out of the box with there 2gr-fks engine. Whaaaaaat.

I decided that 1600kg total would be sailing a little close to the sun so here I am back with the VE.

I have about $15k out of the family war chest to spend.

Last edited:

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
Very few protective beep beep noises in VE except if you have reverse sensors.
Ah really? I think I saw the Z trim all came with reverse cameras.. Will check that, but that will be a non negotiable..

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Ah really? I think I saw the Z trim all came with reverse cameras.. Will check that, but that will be a non negotiable..

Mine is an SSV Z (MY 12.5).

Has reverse camera and sensors but they are the only impact warning beepers on the car.

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
hmm ok ok. I think I can still sell that as sensible. This thing won't fit in the units car park at home so she wont have to battle with that. Ok, good to know.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
you going to be able to tow race car (weight?) on a VE?

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
Well I hope so. Race car is 800kg, trailer is 300. They are rated out to ~2000kg I see.

I’ve been towing with the vy, surely the ve will be much the same.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
What is the 800kg race car ?