Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 rims on VR commodore

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Trying to keep everything origina
As others have written ........... don't paint them black, as that is not the wheel colour of the period.
Old steelies, and VF are the black periods.

Bloke I worked with had pink wheels on his white Land Cruiser, mainly to get attention and stupid questions. No...... he wasn't gay.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Are the rims in good shape paint wise? If yes don't paint them. There will be no change from.$1000 and could be well over that. I paint my own and it was probably close to $400 in materials alone. It took me about three hours per rim too. A professional will be close to three hours per rim as well.
Plus they chip. Two of my rims already have a small chip and it would be very hard to fix the chip in the clear, so I pretty much have to live with it.
The ones for sale I’m seeing generally have some curb rash and a little paint and clear fading

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
^^^^^ ....... easily fixed with elbow grease, a rattle can and a good quality clear coat over a few weekends.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Any old Commodore (especially one with P-Plates) is going to be cop bait, even if it's completely stock, however putting these wheels won't make it any worse, cop bait wise...

Not sure about painting the wheels black or gold, as IMO it doesn't suit the VR/VS Commodore very well...

Not if they are stock looking and driven sensibily.....

The odd copper might pull you up, but having a good attitude helps a heck of a lot....

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Don’t get me wrong, people can fk with old cars, only when they are, you better be dropping serious coin on fking with it.

Rattle cans, and adding spoilers and painting things that shouldn’t be painted is wrong and you should sell it and catch the bus everywhere.

Do something so good it gets rolled out for a Street Machine photo shoot and you have our respect.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Not if they are stock looking and driven sensibily.....

The odd copper might pull you up, but having a good attitude helps a heck of a lot....
Even if driven sensibly, Commodores (and Falcons) seem to be more of a target for cops as they have a reputation for being owned by bogans, and P-Plates will not help either...

As you said, having a good attitude will help, and keeping your car looking like it's in good shape will also help...

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Even if driven sensibly, Commodores (and Falcons) seem to be more of a target for cops as they have a reputation for being owned by bogans, and P-Plates will not help either...

As you said, having a good attitude will help, and keeping your car looking like it's in good shape will also help...
I think they tend to pull over older commodores rather than new commodores. I had not been pulled over ever in my old VE SV6. Granted the exhaust was not over the top and the car’s exterior was stock

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The ultimate compliment, in a perverse way, on keeping a car stock.

Years ago, near Bangalow (?), old Pacific H'way, big semi had been holding me up, long uphill stretch, no oncoming cars, enjoying the sound and surge of VN 5 litre goodness, get pulled over by a cop with a radar gun at the top of the hill.
Very friendly, walked around the car a few times, saying how nice it was inside and out, how long had I had it, etc. Then proceeded to write a ticket for 15kmh under what I was doing, because it was a nice car and I was a nice bloke, no attitude.
Thanks, Mr Plod, Sir ............... thinking............ now I will be held up by that bloody semi, again, up the road, somewhere.
I was as happy as Larry outside, but inside somewhat crapped off. Thought I might just get a polite request not to drive so enthusiastically. :(