Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HPFP or not?

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Would it be certain my 2014 lfx motor in my VE would have a high pressure fuel pump or is there an off chance it's using the old LLT fuel pump or something else?

I've tried to view the pump but bit tough with that shield over it

Is there any other way to tell?

My fuel rail and injectors are definitely the big fat VF rails

I guess I might be able to see it from underneath passenger side looking up?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If it's an LFX it should be direct injection and requires a high pressure pump.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if yours is direct injection then it will have a mechanical high pressure pump fed by a pre pump in tank

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Would it be certain my 2014 lfx motor in my VE would have a high pressure fuel pump or is there an off chance it's using the old LLT fuel pump or something else?

I've tried to view the pump but bit tough with that shield over it

Is there any other way to tell?

My fuel rail and injectors are definitely the big fat VF rails

I guess I might be able to see it from underneath passenger side looking up?
As said all LFX have the high pressure pump
Be very careful as it is extremely high pressure.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
As said all LFX have the high pressure pump
Be very careful as it is extremely high pressure.

They are high pressure, but there is no stored energy, so you crack the lines and barely a dribble comes out.
They run at about 1,000psi, diesels run at about 50,000psi and if you have a loose line on a diesel it just dribbles out.
This is because despite the very high pressures the flow is very minimal.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Thanks guys...old mate is helping me with a new ecu and we need to know if hpfp

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
They are high pressure, but there is no stored energy, so you crack the lines and barely a dribble comes out.
They run at about 1,000psi, diesels run at about 50,000psi and if you have a loose line on a diesel it just dribbles out.
This is because despite the very high pressures the flow is very minimal.
Our Holden direct injected pertol engines (3.0 & 3.6)* generally see pressures between 300 psi (idle) to 2200 psi (max power) with a pressure relief valve set to ~2500 psi in case something electronic goes astray... But regardless of the system pressures, =stored energy, the best practice as noted by most manufacturer's workshop manuals is to bleed fuel pressure before working on said fuel system.

Holden's VF workshop manual states the following

GDI pressure relief.JPG

Yes, GDI engines don't see anywhere near the sorts of high pressures that diesel direct injected systems produces. Diesel direct injected idle pressures are generally higher than the max pressures a petrol directed system sees and the diesel system sees insanely high pressures at max power. Still, it isn't great advice to say, crack a line as it only dribbles.

Such mindset only lets slack work practices sneak into one's workflow which at the end of the day can result in an injury, especially when working on another engine that does produce much higher pressures and the wrencher knows best through years of bad practice....

You've gotta treat such systems with respect because pressure injuries aren't insignificant. Pressure injuries can initially look insignificant but such injuries can escalate and have lead to amputations... Always get a pressure injury checked by your doctor even if it seems like just a small cut.

Really, one should always check the workshop manual, even if it's their day job ;)

* the HPFP is located on the back of the engine and is a mechanical pump powered by one of the cams

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Our Holden direct injected pertol engines (3.0 & 3.6)* generally see pressures between 300 psi (idle) to 2200 psi (max power) with a pressure relief valve set to ~2500 psi in case something electronic goes astray... But regardless of the system pressures, =stored energy, the best practice as noted by most manufacturer's workshop manuals is to bleed fuel pressure before working on said fuel system.

Holden's VF workshop manual states the following

View attachment 264505

Yes, GDI engines don't see anywhere near the sorts of high pressures that diesel direct injected systems produces. Diesel direct injected idle pressures are generally higher than the max pressures a petrol directed system sees and the diesel system sees insanely high pressures at max power. Still, it isn't great advice to say, crack a line as it only dribbles.

Such mindset only lets slack work practices sneak into one's workflow which at the end of the day can result in an injury, especially when working on another engine that does produce much higher pressures and the wrencher knows best through years of bad practice....

You've gotta treat such systems with respect because pressure injuries aren't insignificant. Pressure injuries can initially look insignificant but such injuries can escalate and have lead to amputations... Always get a pressure injury checked by your doctor even if it seems like just a small cut.

Really, one should always check the workshop manual, even if it's their day job ;)

* the HPFP is located on the back of the engine and is a mechanical pump powered by one of the cams

That is all salient advise.
But when you do the same thing every day for as long as I have you get experience, so you know what is going to happen before you even touch the thing you work on.

Think of it like this, when you jump into the shower you know exactly where the taps/mixer needs to be, this is experience, you don't go through the whole safety protocol every time you have a shower.

When I was younger I was very cautious around diesel lines, now that I've worked on so many I know what they will do.
I know the saftey manual is written in blood, I get that, I have scars to prove it too :) but when you work on something for quite a while you get to know it.
The scariest is actually doing hand loads for the rifle, now that is some crazy pressure, 60,000psi but it's gas not liquid so the stored energy is off the charts, not to mention the hole is 7.62mm not 1mm like a diesel line.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
That is all salient advise.
But when you do the same thing every day for as long as I have you get experience, so you know what is going to happen before you even touch the thing you work on.
WRONG!!!!
If you run a workshop and tell an employee to just crack off the high-pressure fuel line and somehow it squirts in their eye and blinds them. They'll pull the workshop manual Skylarking posted and you're toast. If the workshop manual requires fuel line depressurisation, that's what you teach and recommend regardless of how you do it personally.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
WRONG!!!!
If you run a workshop and tell an employee to just crack off the high-pressure fuel line and somehow it squirts in their eye and blinds them. They'll pull the workshop manual Skylarking posted and you're toast. If the workshop manual requires fuel line depressurisation, that's what you teach and recommend regardless of how you do it personally.

Yes, I didn't mean to teach that, but that if you know what you're doing you can just crack the lines.

Funny though, we were trying to fit raised springs to a brand new Patrol, it was the first one out with hydraulic active suspension. The guy that owned it was the owner of the Nissan dealers in the region, they also own two Toyota dealerships too.
So we said we don't have the equipment to bleed the system, they said they would do it at the dealership, as they had bought some machine or something to do it.
So I cracked off a line and this stream of hydraulic fluid came out like a laser beam, it hit the inner guard liner and deflected 90 degree straight into this other guys eye. :D He had to go to the emergency department.
It ended up that the shock spring coil over had the top nut staked on and you can't disassemble them, so Dale just bought a Landcruiser and we raised that instead and the Patrol had a for sale sign on their lot.