Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HPFP or not?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Yes, I didn't mean to teach that, but that if you know what you're doing you can just crack the lines.
It's more likely the OP posted a question because they don't know and as dassaur warned them (below)
Be very careful as it is extremely high pressure.
To contradict that with a "she'll be right" just crack it off, is bad advice in the OP's circumstances don't you think?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Always best on a public forum to provide the safest advise to members and non members. JC is high on Google results.

Whatever unsafe practices are performed are sometimes best left unadvised and behind roller doors.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Always best on a public forum to provide the safest advise to members and non members. JC is high on Google results.

Whatever unsafe practices are performed are sometimes best left unadvised and behind roller doors.
Absolutely agree, spot on!

As a qualified motor mechanic myself, I see a duty of care to provide technically and procedurally correct information particularly when people are asking how to do a certain job on their car that can be done easily in their shed with basic tools and knowledge and the right guidance.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
Actually all he should of been asking does anyone know a quick way to indentfy what HPFP is installed on the rear of the engine.
Does not want to remove it just needs to know if there is a quick and easy method to determine if it is a Hitachi or a Bosch.
It should be a Hitachi as that is what is used on all LF1, LFW & LFX and the LLT used a Bosch.
Since his car was originally a LLT and now has a LFX drivetrain he needs to visually confirm that they did not fit the Bosch from the LLT onto to the LFX and shut off the error codes.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
Would it be certain my 2014 lfx motor in my VE would have a high pressure fuel pump or is there an off chance it's using the old LLT fuel pump or something else?
All SIDI engines run a HPFP of the rear of the engine passenger side - end of story
All LLT engines run a Bosch HPFP and the LFX LF1 LFW run a Hitachi HPFP - end of story
The pump in the tank is just a feeder for the HPFP and nothing more - end of story
The question you should have asked is not does my engine have a HPFP because of course it does it is a SIDI engine, you should have asked does anyone know of a quick easy way to identify what HPFP is fitted (there is only 2 different ones) and easier way than having to pull the shield off and lie on top of the engine with a mirror then you might have got some relevant answers.
What you asked just drove the conversation sideways and got you nothing.

Reactions: Lex

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
That is all salient advise.
But when you do the same thing every day for as long as I have you get experience, so you know what is going to happen before you even touch the thing you work on.
In some cases experience can be the killer as it creates a false sense of expertise.

One of the interesting Air Crash Investigations episodes was a relatively simple windscreen replacement on a Boeing aircraft. The aircraft mechanic removed the windscreen and using his experience he knew exactly which bolts the ones he removed were, so he replaced like for like…

The unfortunate and near deadly problem was that if he checked the Boeing documentation, he’d have realised that at the previous windscreen replacement the mechanic used the wrong bolts! It was just luck the previous windscreen didn’t blow out but this mechanic wasn’t so fortunate!

The end result was that the windscreen blew out on approach to LHR partly sucking the pilot out the opening. If it wasn’t for another person within the cockpit that grabbed the pilot and the skill of the copilot to slow down and land the plane with his off sider hanging outside, the pilot would’ve be dead… because the aircraft mechanic had been working on aircraft his whole working life…

This is not meant as a dig at you, more a general warning that **** happens and we can all get caught out if we are complacent because we are skilled…

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
In some cases experience can be the killer as it creates a false sense of expertise.

One of the interesting Air Crash Investigations episodes was a relatively simple windscreen replacement on a Boeing aircraft. The aircraft mechanic removed the windscreen and using his experience he knew exactly which bolts the ones he removed were, so he replaced like for like…

The unfortunate and near deadly problem was that if he checked the Boeing documentation, he’d have realised that at the previous windscreen replacement the mechanic used the wrong bolts! It was just luck the previous windscreen didn’t blow out but this mechanic wasn’t so fortunate!

The end result was that the windscreen blew out on approach to LHR partly sucking the pilot out the opening. If it wasn’t for another person within the cockpit that grabbed the pilot and the skill of the copilot to slow down and land the plane with his off sider hanging outside, the pilot would’ve be dead… because the aircraft mechanic had been working on aircraft his whole working life…

This is not meant as a dig at you, more a general warning that **** happens and we can all get caught out if we are complacent because we are skilled…
Not a Boeing, it was a BAC-111.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I've got 18 years experience and faith in my old twin piston Snap On jack, but I've got to consciously tell myself that I don't want to be under the car with no stands on the day it eventually fails! It's easy to slip into unsafe practices although you really know better.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I've got 18 years experience and faith in my old twin piston Snap On jack, but I've got to consciously tell myself that I don't want to be under the car with no stands on the day it eventually fails! It's easy to slip into unsafe practices although you really know better.
Always better having 3 points of contact.