Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tailshaft - balance, vibration?

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
There was thread on, l think tailshaft vibration, or something like that a few weeks ago. There was a tsb (gm service thing) can't remember exact details.

But bottom line was tailshaft was dropped to allow the back of trans to be able to come of, cleaned up & coated with lock tight & put back together. It was stop some sort of vibration?

I think @lmoengnr added that there was tsb about it & the fix?

I tried to find the thread, but couldn't.
I remember reading it as well just not sure where on here :D

Reactions: Lex

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec

Attachments

• 2021-04-19 Propellor shaft vibration 90-100kmh.pdf
    451.1 KB · Views: 43

Marty 66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hi there.
Under light load the TCC can lock up early and cause a shuddering / lugging sensation. This can be fixed by a TCM re calibration. It is done using HP tuners and there is a guy in Adelaide that does this at a cost of $375.00. Changes the rpm point at which the TCC locks up.
Best way i can explain the shuddering i had is that it feels like the car is in too high of a gear and is laboring going up slight hills under light throttle.
I can let you know who does the TCM recalibration if you think it could be that. I was passed onto this mechanic for a TCM retune by Rowell & Searle after they checked my car for shuddering / lugging i was experiencing. Re calibration fixed it.
The recalibration will decrease fuel efficiency slightly but it's a small price to pay.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hmmmm, six weeks since the last post and we never did hear from the OP regarding what it was in the end?

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
its about my car

i live in adelaide hills and its a pain to find a good mechanic up here

the issue has calmed, still exists, but its minor now

i still believe there is play in the front coupling and probably would like to replace the centre bearing as well

who do u trust with doing tailshafts, without being ripped off. i can do the couplings, but the VE tailshaft is more difficult isnt it for centre bearing ?

plus then i gotta arrange leaving it down the hill and possibly picking up next day ****

normally id just keep an eye out on FB market place for a recon tailshaft, but i deleted my FB

only watching gumtree now

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah, don't go using the big hammer YouTube method to get the bearing off as you risk damage to the uni. There would be places in Adelaide who can diagnose the problem and get it sorted @vc commodore or @someguy360 or @NORTI would likely know of some reputable places. I no longer have any contacts there as I moved away over 10 years ago now.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yeah, don't go using the big hammer YouTube method to get the bearing off as you risk damage to the uni. There would be places in Adelaide who can diagnose the problem and get it sorted @vc commodore or @someguy360 or @NORTI would likely know of some reputable places. I no longer have any contacts there as I moved away over 10 years ago now.

Last time I offered the OP some advise, he abused me calling me some choice names, along with a couple of other members...

So no chance of me helping the OP out