Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Retreads - Are they worth it? - How much?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
never had a problem with the 15" retreads i used for a year or so, but anything bigger, id go second hand or new.

i picked up my 18" tyres for around $160 each, nangkang ns2's, havent had a problem yet, some say theyre noisier on the road, but they not loud enough for me to get annoyed. only wear so far is really the camber on the front, theyre starting to feather a bit.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Mate the 140km/h speed rating is for the tyre pre retreaded. Retreads are not ment to exceed 80km/h. As said your getting ripped if your paying that much for a tyre..............I paid less for my 19's.
Just get some good second handies for them, I got some when I had 18's on and I think I paid around $120 for two 18's fitted up with pretty good tread.
Theres a saying they have where I get my tires from.............'Retreads are for Retards'.

There is actually a speed rating moulded into the side of the retreaded area. Usually 135 km/h. While retreads were pretty unreliable in the past, they are a cheap alternative to new tyres. I agree that they aren't as good as new tyres, but they carry the same warranty. If your tyre placard states a speed rating of 'H' or above then retreads are illegal. Bob Janes are doing an interest free period at the moment, might be an option to consider. $350 per tyre is a lot to pay, they must be very good tyres. If you can afford the best, buy the best but it tends to be overkill on a street car.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I run remoulds on the back of my VP and I'd say I will continue to do so even though I have enough money to buy good tyres now. I go through a pair of rear tyres in less than 10,000ks so it's just not worth it for new ones. Plus the remoulds I can get hear are much softer and grippier than new tyres anyway. I don't think I would run them on the front just incase they failed and that the tyre wear on the front is much less, but I can't see them failing because they are made very well these days.

If you like to enjoy your car and and don't do insane high speeds then I think remoulds on the back are the go, reusing resources is good for the soul too

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
If you like to enjoy your car and and don't do insane high speeds then I think remoulds on the back are the go, reusing resources is good for the soul too

Translation: If you like doing burnouts use retreads.

Lloyd1986

Reaction score
Website
www.lcimagery.com
Members Ride
VX II Supercharged S pack
Personally enjoying my car would be hammering down the great ocean road, or through other roads in the otways. In which case you really notice the difference between cheap tires and good ones. So I personally would never use re-treads.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
There is a difference between a remould and a retread. A retread just has new tread that comes about 30mm down the sidewall where as a remould has a whole new outer casing of rubber that goes right to the bead.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I had a set of remoulds on my old VN think they were about $60 each for 15x 215 they were a bit firm but the buggers lasted forever

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I'm gonna go against most here.

Just get the Retreads.

There was a guy that works at a retreading place that said they are speed tested to 200 anyway, but the government imposes the 140 speed limit.

I've had retreads, remoulds, and new tyres.

The new ones lasted a little longer, but i never had any problems with remoulds or retreads. Thats using them for burnouts, or normal driving. I bought a set of remoulds for $80, and they lasted just aslong as the nankangs i had on before them.

But if your planning a trip somewhere, or as above you like the twisty roads, new should be the only option.
Also 200 is the max you should pay for an 18, unless your bent on getting pirelli's.

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
And if your paying $350 per tyre your getting ripped off!

Recommended tyres for some cars (SS'/Libertys/etc) are more like $450 a tyre... You can get cheaper ones as has been mentioned, but i suppose like everything else, you get what you pay for.

I'm pretty strapped for cash myself too and need some new tyres, I dont think I'll go retreds though, how long do they last anyway? I suppose its better than bald tyres, so as a last resort i suppose, otherwise save up! (much easier said than done, i know!)

pr0n

It's A Me ' MARIO '
Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY II S V6
350$ what a rip, ive seen ****loads of tyres for 18's for like 130 - 200 each