Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to BiModal exhaust

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Guys,
I bought a set of vf bimodal electric valve mufflers and fitted them to my Ve series 2 calais. They seriously are the best exhaust mod I have done. Fully open they have a nice mild sound. I have sourced an remote electric kit complete with remote and cutout valves that I am going to get an exhaust shop to cut off the original ones and replace them with the new ones. Then I will have a bimodal system. Easy.

Any chance of a video of these ?

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Well there's a couple of ways, but in retrospect the aim of bimodal on a VE has to be to flick switch in order to pass the roadside stationary noise test. So toward that goal you need HSV Pneumatic bimodals (pre servo motor) cost around $300 a set on eBay and good availability.
The pneumatic solenoid controller options are Forza and Mild2Wild, $120-$250. I went with the Mild2Wild NPP-in-a-Box.
NPP in a Box comes with controller and hoses, all you need do is:
  1. Swap cans to bimodals, connect vacuum line to controller
  2. Unclip rear diffuser and carefully stuff in controller box wrapped in noise reducing foam, zip back up again
  3. Run power circuit through grommet hole in wheel well across to battery cove where you piggy back existing fuse
  4. Run vacuum pipe from controller by tucking it up underbody to purpose-ready nipple at rear of intake manifold.
Don't worry comes with instructions and pics ;) Let me know if you need more details.

Can the HSV BiModal mufflers be wired to work with a electronic remote? Ignoring the Vaccum part altogether?
I wanted to play around with mine, which does not come with BiModal setup. But open and close with a switch Ill attach somewhere?

Is it easily doable?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Can the HSV BiModal mufflers be wired to work with a electronic remote? Ignoring the Vaccum part altogether?
I wanted to play around with mine, which does not come with BiModal setup. But open and close with a switch Ill attach somewhere?

Is it easily doable?
I think that’s what the setup above does.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I bought a set of vf bimodal electric valve mufflers and fitted them to my Ve series 2 calais. They seriously are the best exhaust mod I have done. Fully open they have a nice mild sound. I have sourced an remote electric kit complete with remote and cutout valves that I am going to get an exhaust shop to cut off the original ones and replace them with the new ones. Then I will have a bimodal system. Easy.

Is it easily doable?

@VE_Mik says he used the VF electric bi modals with the kit to be substituted for the factory mechanism.

Given that the mechanism is on the outlet side of the muffler, would they be as effective being fitted to a standard VE muffler ? Although the VE muffler doesn't have the Baillie tip.

VE Mik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ser2 Calais V 6.0
I have a feeling that the bimodal mufflers are different tho. The two inner tips when open are straight through and when the valves close the exhaust has to bypass the other chamber in the muffler.
I don't think That they will be that effective on a standard exhaust as the internals of the muffler may be different.

VE Mik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ser2 Calais V 6.0
Also you are correct. Use the supplied valves in the kit and replace the factory ones. Once I take delivery of the kit I am going to have a play with the wires and see if I can get the factory ones to work with it.
If they don't then I will remove the factory valves and replace with the ones supplied with the kit. Either way I will get this to work. Done
Any chance of a video of these ?
Once I have installed them I can vid for you and post up

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV

Sorry, I had a feeling I didnt word it properly.

What I mean, can we wire the HSV BiModal Mufflers, via the electronic unit on the muffler, where I can open/close with a simple on/off switch from jaycar? I notice you mention you still need to use the Vaccum line? Can we bypass the vacuum line part altogether?

VE Mik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ser2 Calais V 6.0
Sorry bud, you say "wire hsv bimodal mufflers"?
Then you say bypass the vacuum line? Not sure what you mean? You either have vac or electric. You can buy vacuum and electric kits from Wilde on eBay. Simple remote control. If you have vacuum controlled bimodal valves then just connect the kit to control them. Presto mate. Easy install. Heaps of vids on how to do it on the net. There is an auxiliary vacuum port on the rear of the v8 intake manifold you tap into. Perfect

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Hey VE Mik any updates on the eBay bimodals? Have you got them working?