Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to BiModal exhaust

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Hey Monstar,

Do you mind posting links on what I need to buy to get this up and running? Do I need to cut or solder any wires? I hope not because electrical wiring and me don't mix and never ends well
Sure, replace "NPP" with "HSV Bimodal":

dsc_0079a.jpg.w560h517.jpg

project1vv.jpg.w560h1364.jpg

The instructions are here. Most of that stuff is about routing the vacuum hose from back of engine to the rear of a corvette, which doesn't apply.
All you need do is run the vacuum line from the engine to the rear diffuser on the drivers side of the car and follow two important rules,
1. 100% make the line is away from any exhaust components.
2. Make sure when you secure the line but do not over tighten the tie wraps and crush the line or you don’t kink the line, both restrict the vacuum flow. The best place to run the line is on top of the tunnel plate, use a wire snake or a metal coat hanger to snake the line through the tunnel.
Undo the scrivets holding up the rear diffuser in place and tuck the control box up there.
Connect the vacuum hose.
Connect the muffler hose (which has a t-piece to each side) to each spigot on the diaphragm actuator of each muffler.
Run the power wire up near the spare wheel well and through one of the rubber grommets (mine is sportwagon so prollly different).
Zip up the diffuser neatly by replacing the scrivets.
Run the power line under the trim to the battery compartment, choose a fuse to piggy back on and plug it in.
Voila.

v-petn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SS VE
Awesome thanks Monster I'll look into this

v-petn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SS VE
Hey Monstar when you get a chance can you take a photo of which vacuum you connected to from engine? Also which fuse did you piggy back off?

Also does it matter which model hsv bimodal as I've seen a few different models

Last edited:

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Hey Monstar when you get a chance can you take a photo of which vacuum you connected to from engine? Also which fuse did you piggy back off?

Also does it matter which model hsv bimodal as I've seen a few different models
IMG_6739 (1).jpg IMG_6741 (1).jpg IMG_6742 (1).jpg
Regarding which fuse it was on the left, bottom one I think. Check amperage and instructions provided with unit.
It has to be the vacuum operated original style, and not the ute / long wheel base ones that have an extension on the tips. Else you need to trim that off. So HSV E3 sedan bimodal.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
The main thing here is the bit before the catback, properly sized and tuned section between headers and catback (3" rising to 4" megaphone diffuser).

Can you explain this a little more or post links what this is? I have never heard of a megaphone diffuser before, what does it do? And does that mean you have no cats?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Can you explain this a little more or post links what this is? I have never heard of a megaphone diffuser before, what does it do? And does that mean you have no cats?
Yes, is basically a type of tuned secondary collector that promotes exhaust flow from the header primaries.
You still retain cats, the design features use of retained heat in the cat substrate at running temps to propel gasses out of the tuned expansion chamber.

VE Mik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ser2 Calais V 6.0
Guys,
I bought a set of vf bimodal electric valve mufflers and fitted them to my Ve series 2 calais. They seriously are the best exhaust mod I have done. Fully open they have a nice mild sound. I have sourced an remote electric kit complete with remote and cutout valves that I am going to get an exhaust shop to cut off the original ones and replace them with the new ones. Then I will have a bimodal system. Easy.

Attachments

• IMG_2991.JPG
    IMG_2991.JPG
    212.6 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_2993.JPG
    IMG_2993.JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 419

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Guys,
I bought a set of vf bimodal electric valve mufflers and fitted them to my Ve series 2 calais. They seriously are the best exhaust mod I have done. Fully open they have a nice mild sound. I have sourced an remote electric kit complete with remote and cutout valves that I am going to get an exhaust shop to cut off the original ones and replace them with the new ones. Then I will have a bimodal system. Easy.
Keen to hear that! DO you have a link for the remote electric kit?

VE Mik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ser2 Calais V 6.0
Keen to hear that! DO you have a link for the remote electric kit?
Hi mate,
You buy the kit on eBay from wild industries. Comes with 2 electric valves, control box and remotes. Easy as install. Just cut out the originals and weld these guys on. Connect wiring and all done. Instant bimodal.

Attachments

• IMG_2995.PNG
    IMG_2995.PNG
    360.5 KB · Views: 780