Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Laboured start up

RyanSu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi, I have a 2010 VE SSV Commodore and I have an issue when starting my engine on a cold start, this has developed over the past few weeks, I’m pretty certain there’s nothing wrong with the battery, alternator, starter, ect, but on a cold start she really struggles kick the revs up when turning over as if she’s being starved of something, It’s been in for a service recently and has had all sparks replaced, fuel injectors flushed, throttle body cleaned battery tests, ect.
But this problem existed before the service so I know it was nothing they did, and it is getting progressively worse.
Also it is only on cold start, once it is started it is fine, drives fine as well, I’ve even turned her off after the cold start up and started her straight up again and she starts fine
Hope you can help
Cheers Ryan

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
Does the engine turn over as normal but just takes longer to fire up or is the actual engine cranking less powerful?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
As what syked asked ! I was going to ask the exact same question.
I am thinking its your Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, non return valve,
Because after the initial start it runs ok, because it has [fuel] head pressure,
But, if you let it sit for was a few/couple of hours, does it do the same ?

RyanSu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Yeah, it seems like the engine is cranking less powerful, you can tell that the engine has kicked over but just struggles like anything build those first initial revs it needs to start idling

RyanSu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
As what syked asked ! I was going to ask the exact same question.
I am thinking its your Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, non return valve,
Because after the initial start it runs ok, because it has [fuel] head pressure,
But, if you let it sit for was a few/couple of hours, does it do the same ?

I haven’t tried after a couple of hours yet, but I’ll give it a try, but I also assume that it’ll do the same laboured start but not so bad, if you get what I mean.

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Fuel purge valve, went on my VF a couple of months ago and had the exact same symptoms.

Easiest way to check if it is faulty, unplug it completely and blow through it. If you can blow through it, it is faulty and needs replacing.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Sounds like a battery crank problem, best to get a crank test done on your battery, just testing it with a multimeter wont show crank failure.

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
Sounds like a battery crank problem, best to get a crank test done on your battery, just testing it with a multimeter wont show crank failure.

Agree it's not 100% accurate but you could check with a multimeter whilst cranking and voltage shouldn't drop below 9.6v
You will need a good multimeter though that refreshes quickly.

RyanSu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Agree it's not 100% accurate but you could check with a multimeter whilst cranking and voltage shouldn't drop below 9.6v
Okay I’ll try that first thanks

RyanSu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Okay I’ll try that first thanks
If it is a battery crank problem is it just a case of replacing the battery or what?