Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

VSYoot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute/VP Berlina. Caring for a 597kW VE SS
What's a balance stand? I have a thing that goes through the rear hub and lifts the back wheel. I do some basics on the bike but even then I didn't tension the chain up right, so the money I thought I saved in labour I had to pay last week to have it redone.
Balance stand is to balance the new tyre once fitted

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3723108...xWc9zKLSyq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I do as much as I can, not just to save money but to be self-sufficient, its hard to find a trustworthy shop.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The bike shop I use had great reviews, plus an old PO went there once so I thought I'd give them a go. First time was the rear brake, which on the Sprint are notorious for being spongy, and unless you have the equipment and know the trick to getting all the air out it will remain spongy.

I tried and while I got some out it was still spongy as I don't own the gear to do it right. Nor do I know the tricks trained persons use to get it right. When I told him I tried after the job was done he smiled and in a polite way said unless you know exactly what to do and have the gear to do it you will not succeed. From what he explained they have a tool that will continuously draw fluid, several resi's full without stopping. Once this is done the nut can be tightened back up. Apparently it took about 300mls of fluid to get the air out of the rear caliper alone.

The job was nearly half the quoted price. I went back for a check-over and coolant flush. The estimate was 2.5hrs, and about $280, the bill was $157. I'm happy to keep going back for stuff beyond my basic skillset as reliability is a small price for me to pay, if it means I can take the bike 2-3 times a week to work and save about $16-$17 a day on my petrol bill.

I may be able to do more down the track I will see how I go after I get all the items done that would be covered in a major service.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Burst water mains. Our area gets them a bit too often. They must have used the cheapest pipe available to reticulate the water supply.

Before long I think the mains will just be patches.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Won't do any harm both sides. I used to do this with my sunglasses when we had to wear masks during Covid.

I'll try it tomorrow night. I've locked up the shed now and not going back out in the freezing cold when I will be in bed in the next 20 mins., hahahaha. Makes sense we used to do this with our goggles and snorkel when spear fishing.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Or Rainx
Or cut a potato in half and rub it over the surface - legit!
Wow, the old potato trick.
Have not heard that one since my parents used to talk about it when they had the morris minor in the 1950's.
They said if the wipers were not working ( common in those days) the half potato rubbed across the windshield would cause the water to run off so they could see better.

Reactions: Lex