Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

['04 VZ SV6] Catch Can, PCV Modifications & UHF Radio Install Questions

Dechlan Tutty

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ SV6 - Auto (5 sp.)
Hi everyone,

I've been doing a couple of things with my '04 VZ (SV6) since I've had it, and have been seeing posts and hearing people talk about PCV clogging issues which ultimately lead to a higher risk of timing chain issues.

Now, my car happens to have 170K km's on the clock and, fortunately, hasn't had timing chain issues, but I'd like to drill the PCV valve(s) to reduce the issues and install a catch can to try and stop the sludge getting into my intake as much as possible.
How would I go about doing so? (Yes, I have looked on these forums but haven't been able to find a clear and concise description of where to install the catch can, whether I need 2 of them, and what to do about drilling the valves out.

Also, as I am going to be doing a lot of highway km's in rural Victoria, I am looking at installing a UHF radio, but don't know what the best way to go about this is either. I have a couple of questions:
-Where have people installed the base unit in the cab? (Next to the driver's left leg, in the removable panel above the air vents, etc)
-What brand is the best bang for the buck, that doesn't absolutely break the bank? (Are supercheap brands okay enough for occasional use)
-What sort of aerial will look decent, but also perform decently as well? (I'm thinking of installing it near the boot lid on the driver's side)

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated!
Cheers

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

Dechlan Tutty

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ SV6 - Auto (5 sp.)

timshp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Is the pcv system same on the VZ as the VE? I.e is plumbing the hose lines the same?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Unless your PCV valve is blocked and crank case pressure is blowing back the wrong way, which is what you are going to solve with the catch can and PCV valve modification, you only need one catch can.

Air goes into Bank 1 from the air intake hose, and comes out of Bank 2 through the PCV valve via the Y connector into both sides of the plenum.

When your valve is clean, and especially after you have modified it, the plenum is sucking air so hard. No way anything goes the wrong way up the air intake pipe, so it is absolutely pointless to put a catch can over there. If you saw oil over that side before, going into the throttle body, you had problems which are now going to be solved. There will be nothing to catch after solving.

Here is a PCV valve I pulled out of a car last week. It literally has green **** on it. The small size of the holes and blockage was causing mega amounts of oil to blow the wrong way up the air inlet side and into the throttle body.

1644562703225.png

I solved it. When you unplug the air inlet hose from the air intake just before the throttle body now, it is sucking nicely. Putting a catch can along that air inlet pipe is only going to catch what your air filter missed removing from the air going past the MAF into the throttle body, which is nothing.

1644562736589.png

So just put one catch can where it counts, between the PCV valve and the Y-piece taking air from the motor into the plenum.

If you don't like to drill holes in your pride and joy, and you want the catch can perfectly upright and stable and somewhere you can reach to drain it real easy, try this. It is mine.

1644563059337.jpeg

1644563083086.jpeg

1644563101130.jpeg

Bit of steel bar and some rubber bushings I made out of a truck wheel liner (chassis) and an old thong (catch can).

Setting all this up is the most useful thing I learned from this forum...well, I actually learned a huge number of invaluable things from these guys, but I am fond of this.

You got clean air going into your plenum and cylinders, not chunks, grease and water. No oil loss through the plenum, dirtying the throttle body and everything else at the same time.

Oil leaks are a thing of the past, if you are using 5w 30 like you should be, cause there is no crankcase pressure on the seams.

These engines love it.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
You will stick it over the other side, of course, cause Australian people drive on the sensible side of the road. Although it might bolt on with your brake booster. Looks like it would on mine.

Bit of bicycle inner tube works good as a strap too. Doesn't last as long as a zip tie. Which is a word I try not to use too much here, because 'zip' means weiner in Arabic ha ha.

And drill out the other end of the PCV valve as well with the larger of the two drills you used on the end I showed you. It comes out with vice grips and a bit of rubber round it to protect it, with a bit of a wiggle, as you see in the picture. Pull it out, drill it, put it back in holding it with the vice grips all the while.

Last edited: