Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] $10,000 budget for first V8...What would you do?

shaune_m

Reaction score
Members Ride
GS300 2JZ TURBO/ S2 RX7
Need some advice people. As above i have a budget of $10K for my first v8. As much as i would love to just go out and buy a VX II SS etc it unfortunately isnt that easy.
I do alot of driving weekly (600-1000kms but a lot of highway 100km speed zones) and pretty much the only way i would be able to comfortably run a v8 would be to put it on gas.

I know what some of you are thinking (buy a corolla instead) but after having a few v6s (VP,VR,VY) Its time for something different and like alot of people ive always wanted an 8.

Now here are my options (well what ive thought of anyway, any input is welcome)

Its a bit of a long read from here onwards so you cbf its all good lol.

OPTION A
Buy a 5 Litre VT (Roughly $4.5-$6K) and get a lpg conversion ($2550 for impco mixer) that comes up to anywhere between 7-8500 .

Problems i can see with this option :
* 304 in a VT body would be quite heavy so wouldnt be real quick but enough for a daily. (Exhaust,intake,tune etc would make it sound great and run better though)
* Also mixer systems suck and would mean a performance loss but no real worry on the freeway or in traffic.
* And lastly my main issue, would i regret it and always wonder why i didnt go for option B

OPTION B
Find a VT Exec LS1 for around $6-7000 max (which i know would be hard but there are a few on carsales etc but would have to check overall condition) and spend around $4500 on vapour injected lpg conversion, i would then get a gov rebate of $1250 (on both systems) and could use that for mail order tune, catback etc

Problems i can see with this option :
* Getting a LS1 VT at the lower end of the price scale may mean the car might have issues but obviously i would get it checked out prior to purchase
* Low price generally would mean high KM's and finding one under 200K may be an issue.

By the way my mind says the 5L since it works out cheaper with more money left over but my heart wants the LS1 since i have wanted one for ages.

Whichever way i go I plan to keep the car for at least a year or two so i can make my money back from the gas conversion which shouldnt be too hard.

Another Option i guess would be to find a cheap 4cyl run about but it may take long to recoup the costs of rego, rwc etc

Or possibly keep my current daily VP V6 and maybe chuck a new motor in it and lpg that? So i could get a v8 and keep it on petrol.

Only Problem with those two methods would be the fact that i would hardly ever drive the v8 apart from weekends and the odd weekday. Whats the point of buying the car you want if you cant enjoy it hey?

Yep so thats my situation, a crap one to be in as a student i guess but what can you do.

Any suggestions or comments welcome.

Cheers

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
v8's run quite efficent on long stretches why not just buy a v8 already on lpg

shaune_m

Reaction score
Members Ride
GS300 2JZ TURBO/ S2 RX7
Been looking mate but not too many out there with less than 200k on the clock.

Cheers

shaune_m

Reaction score
Members Ride
GS300 2JZ TURBO/ S2 RX7
Yep Blown V6 that does make sense i guess, im guessing your not a big fan of LPG? Just thinking about the long run. Need to do some calculations me thinks.

Cheers

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
best idea would be what you said isnt easy, buy a VXII SS. gas is for bbq's, my SS isnt that expensive to run.

a 5ltr is not a good idea if you are after fuel economy.

shaune_m

Reaction score
Members Ride
GS300 2JZ TURBO/ S2 RX7
Haha DM not biased at all ey? The lpg injection systems arnt half bad. But yeah agree with the 5L being more inefficient than the ls1.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Yep Blown V6 that does make sense i guess, im guessing your not a big fan of LPG? Just thinking about the long run. Need to do some calculations me thinks.

Cheers

No, no i'm not. I went through a stupid phase and had my car on LPG for 12 months, stupidest thing i have ever done. I tore it all back off and binned it. It's just not worth it, even in the long run.

The internal combustion engine is made to run on petrol, end of story.

Haha DM not biased at all ey? The lpg injection systems arnt half bad. But yeah agree with the 5L being more inefficient than the ls1.

Inefficient? I get 8.5L/100K on the highway and between 10-13L/100K around town in a 5 litre....Doesn't sound inefficient to me.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo

im not. ive just seen mates blow money on 5ltrs to just buy an LS1 and cam it and wonder why they bothered.

oh wait...because 5ltrs "sound good".