Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] $10,000 budget for first V8...What would you do?

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
just giving my opinion on this topic, id just buy a VXII SS, and not bother with gas, rather then beating around the proverbial bush.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
he could if he doesnt get gas. i payed 11k for mine, in mint condition with 69,000kms. ive seen them go here for around 7-8k.

$4500 is a lot of ULP, how long would the installation of gas take to become a profit?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Yeh, true. In all honesty, i don't think gas ever really becomes a "profit" so to speak. By the time you take into account the damage it can/will do to an engine that will cost $$ to repair you don't end up any better off IMO.

I totally agree though, $4500 will buy a lot of ULP. At a guess, it should keep him going for the 1-2 years he plans to keep the car for.

shaune_m

Reaction score
Members Ride
GS300 2JZ TURBO/ S2 RX7
You reckon guys? Driving say 30 to 40,000kms a year i always thought gas would work out better. Damn those online calculators lol.
Factoring in prices of PULP (recommended?) which dont seem to be going down. Wouldnt the cost be made back after a year or 2?
Would the LPG injection still hurt the LS1? (was told they were much nicer to the engine than the old mixer setup?)

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
id say 3 years. 3 years is a long time, things change, circumstances change.

with a decent tune LS1's can run with awesome fuel economy and still make lots of power.

and as Blown V6 Hatch said LPG will damage the LS1 over time

shaune_m

Reaction score
Members Ride
GS300 2JZ TURBO/ S2 RX7
Yep 3 years is a long time. Ive seen some great results on LS1's from Oztrack etc so no problem there.
I know its probably bogus, but using this website with rough fuel prices entered and a $80-100 weekly fuel spend it seems 1.5-2 years is closer?
LPG Autogas Australia

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
well its impossible to tell isnt it? with fuel prices increasing and whatnot.

IMO if you worried about fuel prices a V8 isnt for you. i know its not what you want to hear but there is no point trying to find a bandaid solution, you can either commit or you cant.

having said that if you havent struggled with the ecotec i cant see an LS1 being TOO much different fuel wise.

edit: just hooked up redbook and it has a VR exec 5spd coming in at 8.5l per 100kms while a VX SS 6spd pulls 9.5l per 100kms keeping in mind that figure will improve with tuning.

shaune_m

Reaction score
Members Ride
GS300 2JZ TURBO/ S2 RX7
Na Fair enough dude i hear ya, just want the best of both worlds i guess. Will be getting an 8 either way, just weighing up my options.
Yep Manual LS1 would be the go if i can find one for a decent price, obviously be a bit thirstier around town than the 6 but thats to be expected.
Anyone notice a big jump going from ULP to Premium?